Click here to apply for the following position.
The Zooniverse team within Chicago’s Adler Planetarium is seeking a back-end developer to build applications and infrastructure for the Zooniverse.org (github.com/zooniverse) platform.
Zooniverse is the world-leading platform for the distributed analysis of scientific data through citizen science. We enable over 2 million registered volunteers around the world to participate in hundreds of real research projects across disciplines (from astronomy to zoology), in partnership with universities and research institutes worldwide (see zooniverse.org/projects). As a Zooniverse developer, you’ll work with our team of 20 talented and friendly developers, designers, and researchers, including members of our Zooniverse teams at the University of Oxford and the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities.
We are adhering to CDC, State, and local orders with regard to COVID-19. This will start as a remote position, but transition to onsite in Chicago when the museum can safely open.
We are looking for applicants who are passionate about building interesting and purposeful web apps.
Please include a cover letter with your application. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
- Have experience contributing to a variety of software-development tasks and projects
- Have experience with Git and GitHub (or an equivalent version control system)
- Have experience writing and maintaining automated test suites for code bases
- Have experience with web application frameworks (like Ruby on Rails, Django, etc.)
- Have experience with developing APIs
- We note that we welcome applicants with traditional and non-traditional coding backgrounds. The only degree requirement is a high school diploma or GED
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience with data analysis, querying, visualization, and data engineering
- Have experience with using SQL to query relational databases
- Have experience with PostgreSQL
- Have experience with Docker, Kubernetes, or any other cloud infrastructure
- Have experience with UI development using a framework (any)
- Want to be an active participant in Zooniverse strategic planning, including tech choices
- Are interested in being in an inclusive environment; we strongly value the diversity of our team
- Are interested in being in an environment that values work-life balance. Our normal full-time work week is 35-hours Monday-Friday
- Full-time, grant-funded position for 1 year, with opportunity for extension
- $60-68K annual salary
- Travel to work with Oxford team + one conference travel funded each year
- Choice and provision of equipment
- Flexible work schedule
- Free entrance to Chicago area museums and cultural institutions
The Adler is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer, providing equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, pregnancy, disability, military status, sexual orientation, gender-related identity, or any other characteristic or status protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact Jenean Featherson at email@example.com if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Click here to apply for the position.