The Phillips Collection, America’s First Museum of Modern Art, is one of the premier collections of Impressionist, modern, and contemporary art. Created by the visionary collector Duncan Phillips when he opened his home to the public in 1921, the museum’s intimate environment encourages people to make personal connections with art. Its permanent collection contains more than 5,000 works. The museum organizes numerous traveling exhibitions that expand scholarship and, combined with an active lending program, makes its works available to audiences throughout the world. The museum also produces some of the industry’s most effective and in-depth education programs for teachers and students. Its long-standing music program attracts top classical performers. The Phillips Collection is a privately-supported, not-for-profit organization that raises over 75% of its annual budget through contributions and earned revenue.
Assists registrars, preparators, conservators, and curators with the administration and installation of the museum’s Permanent Collection and Special Loan Exhibitions. Manages all visual resources duties for the Permanent Collection.
- Process requests from staff and the public for visual resources, materials, and permissions related to rights and reproduction of the Permanent Collection
- Assist Registrar of Collections with coordinating the photography of newly accessioned works of art
- Assist Installations & Collections Care Manager and Manager of Exhibitions with printing and installation of labels and didactic wall copy
- Assist Registrars and Curators with survey study of the Permanent Collection
- Assist with packing, unpacking, and the installation of the Permanent Collection and Special Loan Exhibitions, as needed
- When required, acts as courier for loans and exhibitions
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art History, Museum Studies, or Museum Administration is required
- 2 to 3 years of experience with administrative museum or art gallery duties, handling works of art, including installation, packing, crating
- Must be able to work early mornings and late evenings, as scheduled
- Must be able to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced work environment
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Able to bend, crawl, reach high ceilings, climb ladders, etc.
- Good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and PhotoShop)
- Ability to travel frequently domestically and internationally.
To apply, visit https://www.phillipscollection.org/about/employment
The Phillips Collection is an equal opportunity employer and administers all employment decisions and personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic disposition or carrier status, marital status, veteran status, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.