The American Battlefield Trust, the nation’s premier historic land preservation nonprofit organization, seeks an experienced Chief Financial Officer. The Trust preserves America’s hallowed battlegrounds and educates the public about what happened there and why it matters.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will be a strategic partner to the President/CEO and oversee the accounting, audit, banking, budget and financial activities of the organization. The CFO will prepare financial reports and summaries and, working with other department heads, monitor financially related activities of each department and make recommendations for improvement.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: President/CEO
Job Classification: Full-Time; Exempt
Work Environment: Hybrid
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- At least 10 years related professional experience including managing the finance and accounting functions of a $20 million to $50 million organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management or Finance (MA/MBA preferred)
- CPA license required
- Experience in non-profit financial management and accounting including grant accounting and restricted funds
- Experience implementing accounting systems
- Experience developing and documenting policies, procedures and processes
- Experience with Sage Intacct
Ideal Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team
- Experience should include legal, audit, compliance, budget, grant management, and resource development, with experience in complex real estate transactions being a plus
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, and proposing new ways of creating efficiencies
- Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance and business management processes
- Technologically savvy having implemented new processes and systems that increased efficiency and financial visibility
- Flexible and self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail oriented
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, sense of humor, and a commitment to the preservation and education mission of the American Battlefield Trust.
At the American Battlefield Trust, we build parks and tell stories — the narrative threads that make up the rich tapestry of our nation. Our staff is united by a commitment to excellence and a passion for keeping American history alive. Since 1987, the Trust has saved more than 55,000 acres of hallowed battlefield land from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War. We have reached millions of students and other life-long learners through our education programs. As our nation heads toward the 250th anniversary of its birth, we are looking to grow even more and build upon our previous successes.
To apply for the position, please send your resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and references to email@example.com. No calls, please. Salary is commensurate with experience, and we offer excellent benefits.