The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Collection Information Analyst
Interested candidates: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
About the Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Metropolitan Museum of Art collects, studies, conserves, and presents significant works of art across all times and cultures in order to connect people to creativity, knowledge, and ideas.
The Met presents over 5,000 years of art from around the world for everyone to experience and enjoy. The Museum lives in three iconic sites in New York City-The Met Fifth Avenue, The Met Breuer, and The Met Cloisters. Since it was founded in 1870, The Met has always aspired to be more than a treasury of rare and beautiful objects. Every day, art comes alive in the Museum’s galleries and through its exhibitions and events, revealing both new ideas and unexpected connections across time and across cultures.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
The Collection Information Analyst will be responsible for providing first level user support for The Museum System (TMS). The analyst will provide all TMS training and user support, work with IS&T in maintaining user accounts, ensure museum cataloguing guidelines are followed, and assist with database cleanup projects.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Provide first level support to museum staff regarding use of TMS.
- Develop a training program for TMS users ranging from beginner to advanced level.
- Train new museum staff, interns, and volunteers in TMS as part of the museum onboarding process.
- Create new TMS user accounts and assign user security as is appropriate for the staff member.
- Make adjustments to TMS security groups as necessary based on departmental needs.
- Develop and maintain training documentation to support staff using TMS.
- Work directly with curatorial cataloging staff, understanding needs and helping to develop internal workflows for efficient and effective cataloging practice.
- Assess documentation across databases and determine where information is incomplete or inconsistent.
- Assist with TMS data clean-up initiatives as needed.
- Perform database testing during system upgrades.
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 3 years working with museum cataloging or collections management systems with a strong preference for experience with The Museum System (TMS).
- Proven expertise with TMS.
- Experience with end-user support, training, and service; strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, proofreading, and analytical skills, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficient use of the English language, both in written and oral form.
- Must be a generally positive individual who enjoys exchanging ideas and working in a team environment.
Knowledge and Education:
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Art History or related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with Jira and Confluence.
- Conceptual understanding of relational database systems.