The Collection Information and Digital Assets department at LACMA is hiring for a full time position from Feb 1, 2019 and funded through June 30, 2020. If interested, please email Yvonne Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter/statement of interest and a resume.
Reporting to the Head of Collection Information & Digital Assets, the Collection Information Specialist contributes to the improvement of collections data and digital assets as housed in The Museum System (TMS), the museum collection management database; ResourceSpace (ODIN), LACMA’s digital asset management system and related conservation data system plans; Move Object Request Application (MORA), an artwork movement tracking database; and Drupal, the content management system used to publish data and images to collections.lacma.org. The Collection Information Specialist provides user support for these systems on a daily basis via the CIDA Hotline for the staff of multiple museum departments, including curatorial, registration, conservation and more.
Some duties include:
– Handles a variety of CIDA Hotline requests to meet systems user needs including general use questions, data entry assistance, data upload and report requests and troubleshooting;
– Provides individual and group training sessions; drafts and publishes written procedures as well as reference and training materials for staff usage of databases;
– Creates and modifies Crystal Reports and SSRS reports pursuant to staff requests and project needs;
– Runs basic SQL queries;
– Maintains user accounts and security;
– Performs regular audits of data entry in governed databases, alerting staff of discrepancies;
– Tracks statistics of database usage;
– Provides museum collection inventory and digitization project support;
– Researches data standards;
– Performs data entry, including batch uploads and carries out data clean up projects as assigned.
The qualified candidate will have a degree in Museum Studies, Library Science, or a related field; previous experience with a museum collections management database, knowledge of data standards for museum collection management, familiarity with museum practices and experience providing user support and training in a team environment. TMS, Crystal Reports, SSRS, digital asset management system, content management systems like WordPress or Drupal, and SQL experience preferred.