JOB SUMMARY: To consolidate, organize and update collections records for 300 works of African Art from NOMA’s permanent collection. This includes the inventory, photography and creation/revision/update of each object’s collections database record, as well as ensuring all object information possessed by NOMA is merged and available through a single resource (MIMSY XG). This full time staff member will report to the Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs and work in tandem with the Collections Manager, Digital Asset Manager, Photographer, and Art Handlers to accomplish duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Experience in handling and moving fragile artwork, particularly objects with delicate surfaces or organic materials
- Experience using and a working knowledge of collections database software, specifically MIMSY XG.
- Ability to oversee and/or assist with data clean-up projects, specifically in regard to the permanent collection’s hard records and MIMSY XG
- Ability to assist Collections Manager with the general administration of MIMSY XG through ongoing development, maintenance, and consultation with tech support.
- Update MIMSY XG system administration manuals and contribute the development of documentation of documentation, policies and procedures as necessary
- Ability to apply data content and format standards, methods for monitoring them and the range of solutions appropriate for addressing data irregularities within collections and databases
- Ability to be flexible and work independently and in partnership with Collections, Exhibitions and Digital Assets staff in order to manage several projects at any one time
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively
- Ability to effectively manage projects with a high degree of organization and productivity
- Ability to assess priorities and work well under pressure
- Excellent time management, problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis or demonstrated interest in Art History, Arts Administration, Museum Studies, Fine Arts or related fields
- Three or more years of prior employment in a non-profit, art or museum setting
- Experience with collections database software, specifically MIMSY XG and Crystal reports
- Ability to apply principles, concepts, and practices related to museum collections documentation standards for material culture, specifically in the context of collections databases.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of museum collections management functions, standards, and practices, including, inventory, cataloguing, registration and functionality of relational database technologies and how they support museum collections management work.
This position requires the following physical activities:
- Sitting for long periods of time, walking, finger dexterity, talking, hearing and visual activity.
- Lifting up to 35 pounds, carrying equipment, climbing ladders and standing for long periods of time
Normal office environment. Reports to Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs
Please submit applications via NOMA.ORG website.