The Obama Foundation has an opening for a Content Strategist, focused on work for the Obama Presidential Center being built in Chicago. We’re open to remote for the right candidate! Apply at obama.org/careers.
Purpose of the Role
The Content Strategist plays an integral role in the development of engaging content to support a user experience that allows the story told at the Obama Presidential Center to reach audiences beyond the campus, then inspires them to take action. Working with cross-departmental teams, the Content Strategist will build a framework for and lead the creation of content that connects ongoing Foundation initiatives to the legacy of the Obamas and the story told inside the Obama Presidential Center to actions that people can take in their own community. The Content Strategist will be critical to the development, strategy, and execution of our efforts to move global audiences from hope to action.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Develop Obama Presidential Center storytelling: Create storytelling in a range of formats — including collaborating with teams on video, written, experiential, and more — to create awareness and enthusiasm for the Center and empower audiences to take action on the issues they care about.
- Bring the experience to life virtually: Create and translate the Obama Presidential Center content and experience into engaging material for digital audiences and eventually a new website and mobile experience for the Presidential Center. This will include working with the Product + Technology team to develop and implement a content structure, hierarchy, and taxonomy that allows us to deliver relevant recommendations and personalized content to visitors efficiently across platforms using a centralized content management system.
- Develop a content strategy for visitors: Develop a phased content strategy differentiated by user type that draws visitors to the Center, assists them in planning their visit, builds excitement prior to arrival, supports navigation and access to information on campus, allows them to dive deeper into topics of interest, and encourages them to take action in their communities after they leave.
- Ensure voice consistency: Establish and set content standards, best practices, and processes for content development, editing, and internal reviews. Work with the Creative and Museum teams to ensure all materials related to the Center (including promotional materials, online content, and in-person touch points) reflect our brand, voice, and engage audiences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Key Deliverables / Outcomes
- Develop content architecture and content rollout calendar for the Center materials with an eye for connected content recommendations, working with Center, Museum, Creative, and Product + Tech teams.
- Develop and execute on core Obama Presidential Center messaging needed in the near term, then turn to planning for eventual Obama Presidential Center digital products, including but not limited to web, mobile, and digital signage.
- Write and publish content for digital and in-person OPC audiences
- Completed milestones tied to OPC construction for design and content development
- Create reusable content model in support of a “create once, publish everywhere” approach that allows us to meet audiences where they are and centralize content development and distribution.
- Experience in cross-platform structured content architecture and strategy, ideally in cross-platform media distribution and/or integrated physical/digital environments
- Experienced writer for a range of audiences. Able to create content for a wide variety of audiences and balance competing needs including historical accuracy, audience accessibility, and Obama Foundation presentation goals.
- Familiarity with product development practices, experience working with product, design, and engineering teams to implement new content models
- Experience working collaboratively to develop plans that prioritize competing deliverables
- Experience with user research and/or user testing, analyzing content performance, and evolving content in response to audience feedback or quantitative/qualitative data
- Comfortable implementing standards and best practices for making content accessible, such as content formatting to meet WCAG standards and writing visual descriptions
- Familiarity with structuring content for and/or using headless content management systems is highly desirable; past experience with Contentful preferred