Contract Exhibits Multimedia Manager
Request for Proposals
The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum (NASM) has the most extensive collection of aviation and space artifacts in the world and is committed to creating engaging and educational experiences for its many visitors. The downtown Museum is undergoing a building-wide renovation and has redesigned all of its exhibitions.
This Request for Proposal (RFP) is for a full time, temporary, contract museum exhibit multimedia manager to assist in the management of the finalization and installation of a variety of media pieces in several large exhibitions for a period of 18(eighteen) months with a 6(six) month extension option. The media pieces include linear videos, computer interactives, ambient soundscapes, push button audio experiences, and immersive installations. You will be working at the downtown Museum with a dynamic group of media people, designers, project managers, exhibit teams, and exhibit contractors.
- Work with contract exhibit designers, contract media developers, AV integrators, and NASM staff to assist in finalizing the direction of the production of several large media projections, an electronic donor wall, and other videos and interactives as needed.
- Work with the contracted exhibit design firm, NASM staff, AV integrators, and contract exhibit fabricator to guide the installation of media pieces in several large exhibitions;
- Participate in project team meetings, related to, but not limited to exhibition design and fabrication and multimedia implementation;
- Review submittal documents and answer RFIs (requests for information);
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise working with team members to reach resolutions;
- Track and report on installation progress and communicate all aspects of assigned projects with other NASM and Smithsonian organizations and projects;
- Work with the project manager and exhibits media manager to ensure that the exhibit installations meet milestones and complete the project on time and within budget;
- Make informal and formal presentations to NASM and Smithsonian senior management.
- 10 or more years of experience in developing digital experiences for museums with an emphasis on in-gallery experiences that include the following types: visual/immersive and experiential, interactive, and content/narrative-driven
- Ability to manage exhibit projects
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- io and/or Vimeo knowledge for video reviews
This contract will be located at the National Air and Space Museum National Mall Building at 6th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20560, but you may be required to visit the Paul E. Garber Facility, 3904 Old Silver Hill Road, Suitland, MD 20746, and the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, 14390 Air and Space Parkway, Chantilly, VA 20151.
Government Furnished Equipment
You shall be provided a computer and relevant software for performing the work.
This is a contract position. You will submit invoices for completed work on a monthly basis. Invoices will include the quantity of worked hours and a brief description of the services provided. You are responsible for developing your own pricing information that shall be included in your proposal. You are requested to provide an hourly rate for the base period of 18 (eighteen) months and 1(one) optional 6(six) month term based on services rendered as Not to Exceed (NTE) 1920 hours per year for the base period of 1 ½ years, and 960 hours for the 6-month option. The hourly rate invoiced will remain the same throughout the contract period, regardless of the type of work performed.
If you are interesting in applying, please submit your proposal showing how you fulfill the qualifications, your resume showing your experience with the duties listed above, samples of your work, and rates to NASMDesign@si.edu by May 14, 2021.