Apply online at www.fieldmuseum.org/careers.
The Digital Content Specialist plans for and coordinates content as well as serves as content developer for a range of The Field Museum’s digital platforms, including fieldmuseum.org, microsites for special exhibitions, and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and others).
Working with the Web and Digital Communications team and reporting to the Web and Digital Communications Director, this position’s primary responsibilities are to help develop and maintain the Museum’s online voice, write and edit science content, and act as the team’s central coordinator for content originating throughout the Museum, identifying the best opportunities for publication across digital channels.
Please include relevant social media handles as part of your resume and submit a minimum of two writing samples to email@example.com with the subject: “Digital Content Specialist: [Your Name].” Writing samples should be included in a single PDF document and be no longer than 1,000 words each. At least one sample should demonstrate particular ability in writing about science, natural history, museum collections and research, and/or making complex topics accessible to a general audience. You are welcome to include social media posts, including blogs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and develop web and social media content, ranging from informational website pages and longer-form blogs to posts for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Maintain top-of-mind awareness of online audience, writing engaging, factual, and timely content to appeal to a general audience, and an awareness of differences/similarities between website and social media audience
- Help to monitor, maintain, and improve content on fieldmuseum.org, with an eye for how content is formatted and delivered, using a content management system (Drupal)
- Participate in strategic planning of and user research for content structure for fieldmuseum.org, exhibition microsites, and social media
- Work with staff across the institution on content production, serving as editor for user-facing materials produced by scientific and other staff for the web and social media
- Maintain procedure for gathering content from scientific staff and department’s content production schedule
- Helps develop key metrics for and tracks performance of content across platforms
- Assist in development and maintenance of Digital Communications image archive
- Train institutional staff in best practices for writing for an online audience
- Further develop and maintain web content style guide and other resources for content creators
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in the liberal arts, communications, marketing, or similar preferred
- At least two years of professional-level experience, ideally at a museum, a non-profit, an academic institution, in communications, or in journalism
- Demonstrated interest or background in science/science writing, natural history, and/or museums or cultural institutions
- High level of proficiency with social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, with an ability to grasp scientific concepts and translate them for a general audience
- Ability to keep track of many small details without losing track of the big picture
- Capable editor well-versed in grammar with the ability to kindly and firmly communicate changes. Able to both deliver feedback and accept the same from others.
- Obsessive fact checker with a knack for catching inconsistencies
- Self-starter with some project management skills, including schedule development, tracking, task prioritization, and an ability to meet tight deadlines
- Experience using Google web apps, as well as Microsoft Word and Excel
- A sense of humor, and a willingness to take chances with irreverent or unorthodox content
- Has ideas and can embrace others’, always offers a way forward, is willing to be right while being a good sport but has the courage to be wrong
- Experience with web content management systems (Drupal) and social media management tools (Hootsuite) a big plus
- Familiarity with HTML, Google Analytics, and/or additional social media platforms (Tumblr, Vine, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc)
- Competent in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop
- Interest or expertise in photography, iPhone or other, and/or video production