The Field Museum in Chicago, Illinois is seeking a Digital Experience Strategist.
The Digital Experience Strategist leads the UX and content strategy approaches for fieldmuseum.org. This includes supporting and managing web processes, as well as making recommendations for analytics reporting and digital marketing strategies. This is a full-time position that reports to the Web & Digital Engagement Director.
The Field Museum relaunched its website in May 2018 with a new brand as well as content strategy and development for significant portions of the site. The person in the Digital Experience Strategist role will support ongoing and future projects, mapping information architecture for web content, making recommendations that improve the user experience and assist leading conversations with internal stakeholders. They will work closely with other members of the Web & Digital Engagement team, which is situated in the Marketing department and includes content development and design, social media, and software development.
The ideal candidate will be able to take a high-level view of how fieldmuseum.org relates to the museum’s other public-facing communications channels and collaborate with colleagues across teams, including Marketing, Institutional Advancement, Exhibitions, Learning, and Science. They will have the ability to diplomatically balance audience/user needs with business objectives and museum mission. Prior museum experience is not required for this role, but candidates should have a passion for working at a mission-driven organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the content strategist and UX strategist in evaluating changes to fieldmuseum.org, considering what needs to be updated, removing outdated content, and identifying areas for development.
- Create and oversee processes for reviewing, documenting, and interpreting web analytics in conjunction with museum visitorship data. Apply findings to improve web projects and report analytics to institutional stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Work cross-functionally with staff and science content creators. Respond to requests received from staff and Museum visitors.
- Guide UX work that supports web projects, making sure it remains goal-oriented and actionable. Work with internal and external collaborators to develop research strategies that evaluate UX, apply learnings to web projects, and create reports that can be shared with institutional stakeholders.
- Demonstrate respect for and interest in web accessibility. Co-develop a process to assess web features and content for compliance with WCAG 2.0 AA standards. Assist in shaping and implementing plans to continuously review and remediate fieldmuseum.org.
- Participate in quality assurance checks for design and functionality of website features. Contribute to requirements, research, and other documentation to ensure the continued viability of fieldmueum.org and other digital products.
- Assist in identifying, defining, and prioritizing new features for fieldmuseum.org, collaborating with Web Developer and Web & Digital Project Specialist to deploy them.
- Maintain best practices for publishing on fieldmuseum.org and other web platforms. Support editorial guidelines with the Web & Digital Engagement team to ensure accuracy, uphold brand standards and convey a consistent institutional voice across digital channels.
- Conceptualize new and innovative ways to tell and share stories about Museum science with the public.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and maintain interest in relevant trends in the digital space and help to envision the future of the Field Museum’s online presence.
For more information and to apply, visit https://careers.hireology.com/fieldmuseumtrial/314595/description.