THE ORGANIZATION: The Frye Art Museum is a living legacy of visionary patronage and civic responsibility, committed to artistic inquiry and a rich visitor experience. A catalyst for our engagement with contemporary art and artists is the Founding Collection of Charles and Emma Frye, access to which shall always be free.
THE POSITION: Digital Media and Web Associate
REPORTS TO: Head of Communications & Content Strategy
FLSA STATUS: Full Time Exempt
BENEFITS: Full benefits including medical, dental, vacation accrual, 403b, and more
SALARY RANGE: $45,000–55,000 Depending on experience
Working closely with the full Communications team, the Digital Media and Web Associate maintains, manages, develops, and continually enhances the Museum’s digital presence. The primary functions of the position involve maintenance of the Museum and collection website and email marketing campaigns; the position assists with other ongoing departmental initiatives as relevant, including social media and digital advertising campaigns, internal marketing and signage, and other tasks as assigned.
Web and Digital Media (40%)
- Conceive, design, produce, implement, and manage the Museum’s portfolio of web and digital platforms.
- Ensure a consistent, mobile-friendly look and feel to all web content and style and edit image content using Adobe Creative Suite. Facilitate the publishing of content, including images, video, audio, calendars, and announcements, to the site.
- Manage continuous improvement of the site to meet the evolving needs of the Museum, including incorporation and management of EmbARK Web Kiosk. Identify enhancements, plan future improvements to user experience and/or internal CMS workflow, and manage major web development projects with outside vendors.
- Manage infrastructure of special projects (including but not limited to exhibition-specific microsites), coordinating style and content. Work with web-based multimedia formats, including streaming audio/video.
- Trouble-shoot web-based content, links, navigation, and e-commerce pages to ensure reliability of site for visitors and make corrections as required.
- Conduct audience research and evaluate the effectiveness of web and digital media efforts through website analytics, user surveys, usability studies, usage metrics, and other research tools.
Email Marketing (35%)
- Design responsive HTML email marketing campaigns to be distributed to email lists, and partner organizations. Import and maintain email lists.
- Use analytics to track open and click-through rates to evaluate the effectiveness of email campaigns and prepare & distribute cross-departmental reports.
Leadership Support and Archives (10%)
- Provide support to Museum leadership in creating digital presentations incorporating data and images by editing slide presentations, video clips, etc.
- Maintain a video archive of Frye lectures and exhibition tours, and provide recordings to volunteers and members upon request
Other Digital (10%)
- Develop vision, strategy, and direction for digital media to impact and improve functions across the museum.
- Identify opportunities where digital media can advance organizational objectives and recommend training and support to utilize its full potential.
- Conceptualize new digital initiatives, make strategic recommendations, and develop appropriate plans, specifications, budgets, and metrics for success.
- Optimize website and other digital channels for improved performance by refining infrastructure and underlying code.
- Produce and publish content for internal digital signage channel.
- Apply best practices for accessibility, usability, and agility of digital channels.
- Collaborate with Communications Associate to: develop content, increase efficiency, and automate publishing on social media channels; capture visitor posts across networks to gauge community input and response to Frye exhibitions and programs; research and test existing and emerging digital channels to expand the Museum’s reach.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Significant professional experience in digital design, website management, and database administration.
- Knowledge of PHP is helpful.
- Experience with Expression Engine, GitHub, and EmbARK Web Kiosk is a plus.
- Familiarity with relational database management systems, SQL, and Blackbaud products (Altru) is helpful.
- A self-starter with the ability to operate with purpose, urgency, and accuracy both independently and as part of a team in a dynamic environment with concurrent deadlines and rapidly changing priorities.
- Exceptional time management, project management, and excellent organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented with ability to prioritize, manage, and multitask; ability to coordinate complex schedules and analyze and solve problems.
- Excellent team player with abilities to motivate and work cooperatively and effectively with Museum staff, as well as work well independently.
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact with all levels within the organization and external vendors. Ability to exhibit discretion and handle confidential information appropriately.
- Skilled in working independently with details, with ability to understand and clearly communicate the big picture to various groups.
- Experience in museum or nonprofit setting a plus.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Confidence and presentation skills as spokesperson for an organization.
- Willingness to undergo a criminal background and employment reference check.
- Committed to the Frye Art Museum’s mission, history and future.
Work areas are inside, in a climate-controlled environment with light background noise. Work is occasionally performed at other indoor and outdoor event sites. Work may require long periods of sustained standing during Museum events.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Sitting/Standing/Walking: Approximately 90% of time is spent seated while working at a desk. Balance of time (approximately 10%) is spent standing or moving around the work area. Ability to stand for extended periods of time when assisting at Museum events.
- Speaking/Hearing: Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with donors, members, the public, and co-workers.
- Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling: The ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds is necessary for moving material and equipment for events.
- Vision: Corrected vision close to 20/20 is necessary to effectively use the computer screens.
- Stooping/Kneeling: The ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for accessing files.
- Reaching/Handling: Good manual dexterity is necessary for computer keyboard use and for retrieving and working with appropriate paperwork, equipment, and supplies.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should send cover letter and resume with “Digital Media and Web Associate” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
The Frye Art Museum will consider reasonable accommodations for those applicants with disabilities who may need reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions/duties. Please contact the Museum for additional information.
This Job Summary is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of this role at the Frye Art Museum. Employees must maintain a high degree of flexibility in our rapidly changing environment and, as such, may be required to perform additional duties beyond the scope described here from time to time.