The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County was the first museum in L.A. to open its doors 107 years ago and is poised for an exciting new era as it plans for the future. Having recently completed a new strategic framework, the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County—including NHM at Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits and museum in mid-Wilshire, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall—is looking forward to new building projects and campaigns, exhibitions, community outreach, and innovative audience engagement.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking a Director, Communications for our Marketing & Communications department. The Director, Communications will report to the Chief Strategy & External Relations Officer to develop a strategic and effective communications plan, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the brand reputation of the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County (NHMLAC), which includes the Natural History Museum in Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits in Hancock Park, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall. It is an exciting time as we embark on new journeys of becoming a museum of, for, and with L.A.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the Chief Strategy & External Relations Officer, develop a strategic and effective communications plan, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the brand reputation of the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County (NHMLAC), which includes the Natural History Museum in Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits in Hancock Park, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall.
- Develop, integrate, and implement a broad range of communications public affairs activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. As a key ambassador for the organization, build and nurture relationships with local, regional, national and international media, advancing and expanding the organization’s position and profile with relevant stakeholders.
- Position NHMLAC and its museums as must-see Los Angeles destinations, and leaders in scientific research and innovation, science education, nature and conservation, Los Angeles history and culture, Community Science, climate justice, community engagement and more with a lens toward inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility.
- Manage and execute varied and integrated communications products and services including: online and print publications; editorial content for web, social, and other institutional communications; media and public relations.
- Develop all press materials including press releases, image galleries, videos, b-roll, biographies and background documents. Write, edit, project manage, and collaborate on editorial content for NHMLAC websites, social media, print and digital publications, Board of Trustee materials, campaign case statements, videos for internal and external audiences, leadership PowerPoints, and speeches.
- Responsible for speech writing and institutional messaging and serves as spokesperson for museums, when necessary.
- Develops and manages crisis communication plan.
This position has the following requirements:
- Minimum 8-10 years experience in public relations, communications, or related fields
- Strong management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Spanish language fluency preferred
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County values and endeavors to support diversity, equity, inclusion, and access within its organization and communities. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color (BIPOC), neurodiverse, a woman, a person with a disability, a veteran, and/or a part of the LGBTQAI+ community are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion at culturally diverse audiences in museums and in sciences.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment to working with a diverse community. This is a full-time regular, exempt position. To apply, please use this link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=2fc0a355-012e-4bef-9c85-724ae074a06a&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=415724&source=CC2&lang=en_US
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhmlac.org/careers-our-museums and click the link of the position for which you are interested or go directly to the online application.
Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History Foundation (NHMLAC) is establishing a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for staff, effective August 10, 2021. NHMLAC is requiring that all staff receive the vaccine for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Exemptions for documented medical reasons or a sincerely held religious belief may be requested.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.