The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County was the first museum in LA to open its doors 105 years ago, and is poised for an exciting new era as it plans for the future. Having recently completed a new strategic framework, the Natural History Family of Museums—including the NHM at Exposition Park, the La Brea Tar Pits and Museum in mid-Wilshire and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall—is looking forward to new building projects, exhibitions, community outreach and innovative audience engagement. The Creative Director is responsible for leading the creative for the brand strategy and design direction for the Natural History Museum.
This includes the planning and implementation of strategies, overall concepts and creative work for all Museum branding and communications, including marketing collateral, advertising, signage, web, digital, video, etc. social media presence, and visitor engagement. The Creative Director works collaboratively across divisions and departments to coordinate with the digital, communications, marketing, exhibitions, advancement and technology teams. Reports to the Senior Vice President for Strategic Engagement, oversees a department of 6 including Senior Manager, Senior Designer, Junior Designer, Graphic Artist, Production Coordinator and Digital Archivist, and collaborates closely with the Manager of Digital Production and Web Developer.
- Brand Strategy and Design: Direction and Implementation: Leads brand assessment, refresh, and implementation internal and externally. Directs and evaluates the work of Museum staff and contractors to effectively translate the Museum’s brand into visual communication. Directs, plans and executes the implementation of brand strategies, overall concepts and creative work for all Museum branding and communications, including marketing collateral, advertising, signage, web, digital, video, social media, etc. Oversees Production Coordinator.
- Executive Communications: Conceptualizes, develops and executes creative strategies and solutions for the Museum’s executive team, client departments, effectively translating and communicating these strategies to internal and external audiences.
- Design Studio: Directs the work of a highly efficient and creative environment, optimizes and tracks projects for studio including assigning projects to staff, evaluating their work, ensuring smooth workflow, quality of work and refining production systems to ensure projects are delivered on time. Empowers creative staff, facilitating information flow between team members in Creative, for partnerships in Marketing & Communications division and internal departments.
- Museum Publications: Manages the design and production of Museum publications including a new LA Nature Guide, quarterly magazine print and digital version, newsletters for members, donors and staff. Coordinates production with team members responsible for editorial content.
- Imaging and Digital Archives: Provides creative direction and oversees the Digital Archivist’s activities to ensure that the Museum’s digital archive of images, video and audio assets are on brand and accessible for use in print, digital, environmental, media/PR and curatorial needs . Provides direction for photographic imagery for the Museum’s brand. Includes assets for exhibits, advertising campaigns and marketing collateral (print and digital), digital initiatives, and other imagery needs, including building a library of assets that can be monetized through Print On Demand, Museum store products and other licensing channels. Oversees Digital Archivist.
- Digital Design: Collaborates across the museum, particularly with the digital team, to design and produce digital content to engage visitors, expand access to our world-class collection, generate participation and revenue, and connect NHM with a broader audience in L.A. and beyond. Provides creative direction and design for websites, social media and online video content.
- Website: Interfaces with digital team, exhibits, education, R&C, membership and advancement, IT, and guest relations and galaxy design website pages and online initiatives for the Natural History Museum, La Brea Tar Pits and Museum, and the William S. Hart Museum.
- Planning: 5-7 years experience in strategic planning, assist in translating organizational vision to divisional goals. Develops department goals necessary to accomplish divisional goals. Is capable of monitoring implementation of goals at this level, making necessary adjustments and informing higher levels of management regarding significant changes.
- Management: 5-7 years overseeing and leading creative team working across one or more department to manage their successful accomplishment of ongoing functions as well as their roles in accomplishing the organization’s strategic plan.
- Negotiation: Successfully led bidding process for complex projects, drafting contract terms and monitoring/ensuring performance of contractors.
- Analysis: Assess complex situations – making decisions and/or recommendations for organization.
- Finance: Experience with contributing to the development of program fiscal budget, forecasting and monitoring implementation to meet targets..
- Experience: Requires 5-7 years of experience in a managing role for cross functional groups (creative, in collaboration with digital and technical teams). Demonstrated accomplishment in complex creative management for a university or museum is preferred.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking employees who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full-time, regular, exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Interested candidates please visit apply here.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please- No Phone Calls, Faxes, or Emails.