The National Gallery of Art serves the nation by welcoming all people to explore and experience art, creativity, and our shared humanity. It was founded with the hope that it would be a living institution, growing in usefulness and importance to artists, scholars, and the general public. It now seeks to carry forward its responsibilities with a renewed commitment to engaging audiences across the country.
We are looking for an exceptional Director of Content Strategy to lead the development and execution of content strategies across media channels and digital platforms to serve the National Gallery’s external audiences. The focus of the work will be on storytelling and creative development and delivery of digital content to build brand awareness and a national audience base. The person selected for this position is expected to maintain a deep understanding of the National Gallery’s multifaceted work and relate it to audiences’ needs for rich content that engages and inspires. Working with stakeholders and subject matter experts across the institution, the incumbent will develop, pitch, execute, and distribute content aligned with overall strategy and provide management leadership in support of the National Gallery’s goals and objectives. The position reports to the Chief Content Officer and Publisher in the Office of Content Strategy, Publishing, and Branding within the Office of the Deputy Director.
- Create and execute a gallery-wide process for developing annual and ongoing content strategies; ensure that they effectively utilize available resources and digital platforms.
- Act as a close partner for the Brand Creative Director’s approach for prioritizing and developing brand communications.
- Lead the collecting, curating, and sharing of stories, talent, and digital media assets generated by exhibitions, collections, programs, and constituent events.
- Serve as internal resource and expert around digital content.
- Develop inventive and creative content and advance visual and verbal story ideas that engage target audiences, increase the brand’s impact and visibility, and position the National Gallery as host for relevant national conversations about and around art.
- Develop, scope, edit, and produce original content for the website, mobile applications, and other digital products that include diverse perspectives and new voices.
- With the Content Delivery team in the Digital Experience Division, develop and implement new website content initiatives, make strategic recommendations, and develop appropriate plans, specifications, and metrics for success in consultation with the Chief of Digital Product and Experience.
- Manage day-to-day functions for digital content – pitching new ideas, integrating talent and content with existing projects, leveraging content to amplify institutional goals, and collaborating on projects.
- Act as primary point of contact for internal and external audience research partners; direct design and execution of quantitative and qualitative research to gain and maintain an in-depth understanding of key audiences and their preferences to make actionable strategic content recommendations.
- Collaborate within Content, Publishing, and Branding with the Brand Creative Director and design, editorial, and production teams; also collaborate across departments and divisions with the content delivery, video studio, and digital product teams in Digital Experience; social media and publicity teams in Communications; and Marketing, Development, and Audience Engagement and Insights teams to execute overall content strategy.
- As needed, represent the Content, Publishing, and Branding team with internal and external stakeholders.
- Coach and develop team members.