- Provide high-quality, timely and accurate publishing and editorial services for a wide range of print, digital and online products
- (Maternity Leave Contract) Full time temporary employment until April 2018 with flexible working conditions
- Salary package up to $97,087. Package includes salary ($79,384 – $87,591), employer’s contribution to superannuation.
A catalyst for creative expression and curious minds.
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences (MAAS) is Australia’s contemporary museum for excellence and innovation in applied arts and sciences and are uniquely placed to demonstrate how technology, engineering, science and design impact Australia and the world.
An opportunity has arisen to recruit for an Editor role which will sit in the Production team. This team is one of three teams reporting to the Director, Curatorial, Collections and Exhibitions and encompasses Exhibitions, Design, Editorial & Publishing, and Production Services.
The Production team is responsible for managing the overall exhibition program including forward programming, exhibition development, production and installation, design, editorial and production inclusive of internally developed exhibitions and displays, touring exhibitions, major installations, visible collection storage, permanent galleries, and event and experiential projects.
In this role you will provide high-quality, timely and accurate publishing and editorial services for a wide range of print, digital and online MAAS’ products for hard copy and electronic dissemination. You will also contribute to, and ensure effective communication with museum audiences through the delivery of high quality, accessible and engaging interpretation strategies, communication briefs, publishing proposals and text for exhibitions, print, digital and online materials consistent with a Strategic Plan.
This role also contributes to the development and publication of research publications, exhibition related materials, catalogues, guide books, brochures, monographs, and educational, promotional, operational and corporate materials for hard copy and electronic dissemination.
To get a full role description Click Here
MAAS website can be found at www.maas.museum
For information on applying for roles in the NSW Public Service Click Here
To be eligible to apply for this role you must meet these requirements:
- Excellent written and oral communication, editorial, and research skills with a demonstrated understanding of the principles of plain English and inclusive language
- Demonstrated experience in the development of text for exhibitions and publications and an understanding of changing editorial practices, exhibition and publishing trends, including web accessibility and digital platforms
- High level understanding of design and print production principles and processes and the ability to brief designers and printers on design and product requirements
- Demonstrated organisational and project management skills and proven ability to project manage several simultaneous projects, prioritise a diverse workload, determine and manage project budgets, and ensure each project meets deadlines and quality standards
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders with high level negotiation and interpersonal skills; and demonstrated ability to work independently and to proactively identify and resolve issues
- Tertiary qualifications in one or more fields: communications, journalism, arts, history, sciences or museum studies
Your application must include:
Cover Letter – No more than two A4 pages. Must include short statements in response to the two targeted questions below (drawn from the Core Competencies required in the Role Description) which addresses the requirements of the role.
Resume/CV – No more than three A4 pages. Must be up to date with current employment, and clearly details your skills and experience as relevant to this role. Must include referee contacts. We will not contact referees without your consent.
Question 1 – Give an example of an editorial/publishing project that you have had to plan and organise from beginning to end? What steps did you take?
Question 2 – Give an example of your approach to a project with multiple (two or more) platforms, eg exhibition, publication, website, social media etc. What was your input as editor and how did you adapt content to deliver to different audiences?
The Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences welcomes applications from Indigenous Australians, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and people with a disability. If you have individual requirements that need to be accommodated in order to participate in the selection process and join the Museum, please indicate this in your application.