THE JEWISH MUSEUM
The Jewish Museum, one of the world’s preeminent institutions devoted to exploring art and Jewish culture, from ancient to contemporary, was founded in 1904 in the library of the Jewish Theological Seminary, where it was housed for more than four decades. Located on New York City’s Museum Mile, the Jewish Museum is open for people of all backgrounds and is the first institution of its kind in the United States and one of the oldest existing Jewish museums in the world.
The Editorial Associate is responsible for generating, adapting, and coordinating editorial content for the Museum’s print and digital promotional platforms to support audience development goals. Core deliverables include short- and long-form content for the Museum’s print materials and TheJewishMuseum.org, as well as other areas including contributing to the Museum’s social media channels.
A dual report to the Museum’s Digital and Marketing teams, the role supports all aspects of the Museum’s audience-facing activities and collaborates across the Museum with staff in Curatorial, Education, Visitor Experience, Development, Membership, and the Shop. The Editorial Associate must have a strong grasp of audience-focused writing and will be responsible for the clarity and accuracy of the Museum’s editorial content and, as such, must be an exceptional copy editor.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Maintain a clear and distinctive voice for the Museum brand. Implement updates to the Museum’s marketing style guidelines.
- Collaborate with internal clients (Development, Membership, Education, etc.) to adapt messaging concepts into audience-appropriate content for multiplatform executions. Ideate, copy-write, copy-edit, and gather assets.
- Uphold editorial standards of the Museum’s website, TheJewishMuseum.org. Serve as primary content editor for the Museum’s websites through Website content management system (Expression Engine).
- In collaboration with the Digital team, draft content for the Museum’s social media channels on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, and Medium.
- Research, proofreading, fact-checking, and quality assurance of all deliverables.
- Adhere to production schedules and deadlines.
- Other administrative duties and special projects as assigned.
- BA/BS required; concentration in Art History, Journalism, Marketing, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience.
- Highly developed communications skills (written/verbal) and adept at translating academic prose into audience-focused messaging with clear calls to action.
- Superior project management skills and the ability to prioritize deliverables for multiple stakeholders and platforms within a fast-paced environment.
- Active user and fluent in social media best practices.
- Competent computer skills; basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud required; experience in website content management systems preferred.
- Knowledge of and/or interest in art and Jewish culture preferred.
For immediate consideration send resume, cover letter, relevant writing samples, and salary requirements to:
Associate Director, Human Resources
The Jewish Museum
1109 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
The Jewish Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from diverse candidates.