The Met’s Digital Department is seeking a leader to manage the Museum’s email marketing program. We want to hire a compelling, experienced and results-driven manager who will be responsible for all aspects of the museum’s email program, from strategy-setting and campaign planning to scheduling and production. Someone who can motivate a team to deliver outstanding work and who brings out the best in his/her colleagues. The ideal candidate will be have a strong balance of email marketing and project management skills, and be passionate about building awareness of the Museum’s collection, programs, and exhibitions and for driving revenue for the Museum. The position involves working closely with Membership, Education, Development, Marketing, and The Met Store to deliver approximately 500 email campaigns per year, all in service of the three business goals of the Email Program:
- User engagement
- Revenue generation
- Audience growth
S/he will be the product owner email within the Met, will work to disseminate best practices throughout the departments that utilize the email program and will shape, manage and strengthen the Museum’s email program in order to ensure that the success criteria of the email program are met.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in managing an email program, and have a passion for the cultural sector and mission-based institutions. An obsession with analytics, clear decision-making and compelling content will be required. A recent Met blog post outlines the Museum’s digital strategy [ http://bit.ly/metdstrategy ]; this role is a critical part of the implementation of that strategy.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILIES & DUTIES:
- Manage, lead, develop and mentor the Email Program team
- Develop, implement and maintain a strategy and roadmap for the Email Program at the Museum, ensuring that the Email Program meets it’s business goals.
- Oversee the planning, production and quality of all email campaigns
- Manage the Museum’s email calendar, production schedules, workflow, and deployment process.
- Analyze email performance and implement strategies to optimize future campaigns.
- Identify and drive user engagement and revenue by optimizing key metrics, including CTR, open rates, and conversions.
- Work with stakeholders across the Museum to strengthen the Email Program, and help ensure the program best serves the needs of stakeholders
- Work with email stakeholders, and the email service provider, to build understanding of, and develop strategies for utilizing, advanced user engagement strategies, including: segmentation, real-time triggers and lifecycle campaigns.
- Work with email stakeholders and the email service provider to optimize the performance of email campaigns, through multivariate testing and other data-driven strategies.
- Balance the scheduling needs of different Museum departments to ensure that the success measures of the Museum’s email program are met in the most efficient and effective way.
- Cultivate partnerships with Membership and Development to create member acquisition and fundraising campaigns.
- Collaborate with Membership, Development and The Met Store to optimize revenue generating efforts for the Museum through the email channel.
- Report to stakeholders quarterly on the success measures of the Museum’s email program (user engagement, revenue generation, and audience growth).
- Manage the relationship with the Email Service Provider to ensure they are meeting their contractual obligations.
- Continuously work with email service provider to enhance email production processes.
- Collaborate with the Content Team to develop and implement new ideas for email newsletters, promotions, and campaigns.
- Manage the syncing of data from multiple databases into the email marketing system.
- Be the expert on email production and train new hires on the platform.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
- 5+ years managing a large email marketing program. 2+ years with leadership experience.
- 2+ years experience managing and growing revenue through an email marketing progarm.
- Must be highly organized, deadline-oriented, and flexible, with strong project management skills.
- Knowledge of email best practices, deliverability, CAN-SPAM legislation, and email success metrics.
- Experience mining data to drive actionable insights that will increase revenue and engagement.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop and Dreamweaver, and strong HTML and CSS skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with a major email service provider.
- An effective communicator that successfully collaborates with producers, developers, and vendors
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style is preferred.
- Ability to navigate a complex organization with patience and a sense of humor.
- Experience working in a museum or a related sector is desirable.
Send Resumes to Lori.Malberg@metmuseum.org