The YIVO Institute for Jewish Research seeks an Exhibition Content and Digitization Specialist to help develop exhibitions for the YIVO Bruce and Francesca Cernia Slovin Online Museum, launched in 2020. The first exhibition, Beba Epstein: The Extraordinary Life of an Ordinary Girl uses interactive storytelling to contextualize hundreds of artifacts from the YIVO archives, taking the user on a journey of discovery. This position will report to the Director of Digital & Chief Curator of the Online Museum.
- Work with the Chief Curator in the development of exhibitions for the online museum;
- Perform research in the YIVO archives;
- Perform content research and writing alongside scholars;
- Perform basic image editing for digitized artifacts (training can be provided by YIVO);
- Clear rights from outside providers for use in exhibitions;
- Perform basic HTML/CSS tasks (training can be provided by YIVO);
- Perform basic administrative tasks, like sending payment requests, organizing files, etc.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with research and content development, preferably for exhibitions;
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Humanities, Museum Studies, Public History, Interaction Design, or similar fields;
- Great writing, research, and organization skills;
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS;
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere;
- Basic knowledge of WordPress;
- Ability to learn new technologies and stay current with technical developments;
- A passion for creating experiential and interactive content that goes beyond traditional formats;
- Self-motivation, excellent communication, problem solver, and an open mind;
- A love of collaboration and learning;
- A fearless, can do, and positive attitude;
- Previous experience conducting research in archives or museum collections;
- Knowledge of Yiddish is a major plus but not required;
- Interest in the history and culture of East European Jewry.
This is a full-time position based in New York City. Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package offered.
The YIVO Institute for Jewish Research is dedicated to the preservation and study of the history and culture of East European Jewry worldwide. For nearly a century, YIVO has pioneered new forms of Jewish scholarship, research, education, and cultural expression. Our public programs and exhibitions, as well as online and on-site courses, extend our global outreach and enable us to share our vast resources. The YIVO Archives contains more than 23 million original items and YIVO’s Library has over 400,000 volumes—the single largest resource for such study in the world.
We understand that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a job description. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply. Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Exhibition Developer Application.”