Northwestern University in Qatar (NU-Q)
NU-Q’s Liberal Arts Program is seeking a scholar with a demonstrated interest in combining digital and humanistic methods or approaches to study traditionally non-digital texts. Applicants should have a demonstrated record or strong likelihood of top-tier peer-reviewed publication and evidence of, or preparation for, effective teaching. Senior-level applicants should provide evidence of leadership in research, instruction, and service, with a strong record of external funding a plus. Working in a highly interdisciplinary environment, the successful candidate will create undergraduate courses and teach primarily in the humanities, and collaborate in teaching and research across NU-Q’s academic programs. Candidates must hold a PhD in digital humanities or in a humanities or interdisciplinary field with a digital focus or approach.
Located in Qatar’s Education City with five other top US universities where academic freedom is assured, faculty work in a collaborative environment that includes academic programs in Journalism and Strategic Communication, Media Industries and Technology, as well as Liberal Arts. NU-Q is housed in a state-of-the-art building with extensive technical and production facilities. NU-Q’s stature in the community allows for active partnerships with local and regional organizations, such as the new Qatar National Library, Qatar Museums, the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy (World Cup committee), and a growing arts and culture scene. Opportunities also exist to develop new collaborative projects and for creative collaborations with The Media Majlis, NU-Q’s media and journalism museum; the NU-Q Media Innovation Lab (MIL); and other projects locally and regionally.
The candidate selected will join a highly qualified faculty drawn from Northwestern’s home campus and some of the world’s leading universities and media venues. NU-Q is a highly diverse school with a significant proportion of female students. Our learning community of students, faculty, and staff spans more than 50 countries. Our graduates are employed in top media and strategic communication venues and have a high rate of matriculation to top graduate schools in the US, Europe, and Asia. Students benefit from generous travel and research grants.
Compensation includes a highly competitive salary, overseas benefits and allowances, and free housing as well as generous research and faculty development support. Internal research grants are also available. Academic rank will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Qatar is a culturally diverse country. Its capital, Doha, is a cosmopolitan urban center with diverse racial, ethnic, and expatriate communities. Qatar has among the lowest crime rates in the world and is a safe destination with political stability. Qatar is home to over 2.7 million people representing 94 different nationalities.
To apply, please upload the following materials through the link below:
• letter of application that addresses teaching experience and research goals
• statement of teaching philosophy, with a section that addresses diversity and inclusion in the teaching environment
• portfolio materials or link to online portfolio
• three confidential letters of recommendation.
Applications received by November 20, 2019 will receive the highest priority. The search will continue and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Department: NU-Q Liberal Arts Program
Please read ALL instructions and make preparations before proceeding to the application page:
• Applications will only be accepted via online submission (see link below).
• Please prepare all documents in advance as Adobe PDF files, and please be sure all information is entered correctly and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been submitted.
• Please also prepare a list of names and email addresses for your external academic references; your references will be contacted directly by the online system and invited to upload their letters on your behalf.
• All required fields in the application form are marked with an asterisk and must be filled before clicking the “Submit” button.
• Be aware that incomplete applications cannot be saved.
Applications accepted via: https://www.qatar.northwestern.edu/about/employment.html
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in Qatar.