The Saint Louis Art Museum seeks a Head of Digital Platforms to work with stakeholder groups to establish a vision and implementation strategies for in-house software platforms and public digital engagement with the Saint Louis Art Museum collections and exhibitions.
JOB TITLE: Head of Digital Platforms
REPORTS TO: Director of Digital Experience & Media
SUPERVISES: Web Developer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 5 years of experience in applications programming, with at least 2 years as a senior level programmer, or directly related experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a complex, dynamic environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strategic long range planning around technology choices, feature road-maps and demonstrated technical project management.
- Experience in software design, development, and testing, and working with distributed revision control or source code management frameworks.
- Experience with modular architecture software systems and API integrations.
- Experience with data modeling and building, configuring or integrating information and/or asset management systems.
- Ability to design and execute complex software projects to meet the diverse needs of various user groups.
- Implementation expertise with current front-end web development technologies, mobile development and delivery frameworks; and current object-oriented and scripting languages.
The Head of Digital Platforms will work with stakeholder groups to establish a vision and implementation strategies for in-house software platforms and public digital engagement with the Saint Louis Art Museum collections and exhibitions. In this role the Head of Digital Platforms will guide the museum through the implementation of a new Content Management System, working with a variety of content managers, subject matter experts, and end users to determine requirements, draft specifications, and establish project plans that include data migration, maintenance, and feature enhancement roadmaps. The Head of Digital Platforms will additionally have the responsibility of lead software architect and lead developer for the design, development, and maintenance of current web-based applications that access museum data as well as all mobile and in-gallery digital engagement initiatives.
DUTIES, WORK PERFORMED:
- Advise management on the capabilities and limitations of current systems and recommend improvements.
- Assist the Director of Digital Experience and Media in developing high-level strategic vision and planning around the museum’s digital platforms for collection management and digital experiences.
- Maintain, modify and improve existing software applications; anticipate and resolve system or technical problems; develop or implement appropriate and relevant solutions; ensure software solutions match end user requirements.
- Manage additional personnel and contractors for the design, development, and testing of digital projects.
- Plan, analyze, design, and implement a variety of new information systems, establishing internal and external controls; develop procedures for access and retrieval of information. Ensure program designs meet user requirements; ensure adherence to design/program standards.
- Maintain test and development environments, and orchestrate migration or upgrades of approved software to production environments.
- Write, modify, and/or run programs to provide reports and to extract information from museum databases.
- Ensure, develop or provision system interoperability and integration of museum data systems for use by internal or external clients.
- Analyze and respond to service requests; determining the most cost effective approach and the appropriate staff time required to achieve needed modifications. Recommend appropriate solutions to meet user needs and project requirements.
- Prepare project plans, time and cost estimates of new projects, and enhancement or changes to existing systems/applications. Ensure coordinated integration into existing systems and procedures.
- Coordinate and/or attend project team meetings, user meetings as needed.
- Prepare user and technical manuals and instructions. Instruct users on new capabilities.
- Assist the IT department in researching and evaluating new technologies, software, and hardware products. Consult with vendors regarding product functions and features. Recommend software and hardware purchases.
The above statements of this job description describe the general duties and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They do not claim to describe all of the functions of this position. Employees may be assigned other duties and the essential functions may change or be changed from time to time.
To apply, visit: www.slam.org/careers
The Saint Louis Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, or any other protected class.