At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is seeking a Manager of Multimedia Engineering and Integration, an experienced people and technical manager with a passion for building engaging and educational digital media experiences.
The Exhibitions team is a dedicated, talented, and diverse group of people creating exemplary visitor experiences that are a benchmark of excellence in the Aquarium field. The Multimedia Engineering and Integration (MEI) department is part of the larger Interpretive Media work group within Exhibitions. Working closely with colleagues within Exhibitions and across the Aquarium, MEI is responsible for the design, engineering, programming, installation, and maintenance of all the Aquarium’s visitor-facing digital experiences. These experiences include digital interactives and videos within our exhibitions, digital signage used throughout the Aquarium, technical AV systems used to run public programs on site, the Aquarium’s webcams, and the producing of virtual events.
The Manager of Multimedia Engineering and Integration plays a key role in ensuring all of Interpretive Media’s work is delivered on time, on budget, and meets the high-quality standards of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The ideal candidate will be experienced leading highly technical and creative teams, will be committed to effective communication, forward-thinking, collaborative, and bring a positive spirit to the management of her/his team and to interactions with colleagues throughout Aquarium. If this sounds like you, we would love for you to apply! We look forward to connecting with qualified candidates about this opportunity to become part of the Monterey Bay Aquarium community and help inspire millions of visitors to conserve our ocean.
Absolutely Required Skills / Knowledge / Ability / Experience or Education
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, multimedia development, or equivalent training or experience
- 5 years’ professional experience creating interactive multimedia experiences (rich internet applications, kids’ software, museum kiosks, etc.)
- Skilled leader able to effectively communicate with different personality types
- High emotional intelligence (EQ) and able to work well within diverse teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving, research, and collaboration skills necessary
- Maintains current knowledge of multimedia software development standards and innovations
- Self-motivated and takes initiative
- Ability to create and maintain department/project schedules and budgets
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic department
Desired Skills / Knowledge / Ability / Experience or Education
- Professional experience with Unity 3D and C#, or other game engine software
- Experience working for an Aquarium, museum or like-non-profit institution
- Understanding of BrightSign/BrightAuthor video playback devices
- Understanding of common video capture, editing, and encoding techniques
- Understanding of AMX programming
- Familiarity with common project management tools and techniques
- Experience with Agile process and leading sprints
- Familiarity with common online communication tools
- Familiarity to common issue tracking / bug reporting software solutions