|The Online Communications Manager is a critical leader in Shedd’s brand communications efforts, providing strategic insight and driving efforts to continue Shedd’s position as an innovator in the field. This staff member will manage the online extensions of Shedd to include online fundraising, e-commerce, online marketing plans, as well as new and emerging media. The online communications team is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to build relationships with all of our online constituents, from fans to members to learners. This position plays a key role in building Shedd’s brand, and in developing strategic communications solutions for all key stakeholders, including staff in marketing, PR, development, learning, conservation and guest experience.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
– In partnership with supervisor, develop and implement an integrated and comprehensive online communications strategy.
– Develop strategies to personalize and customize the user experience based on audience segments and interests, and develop pathways to increase engagement with Shedd in multiple ways, from fundraising to learning to encouraging word of mouth.
– Act in a consulting role with other departments to help them develop strategies and initiatives to achieve their goals online.
– Develop and maintain an online communications planning calendar to support the online communications plan. Use this calendar as a tool to facilitate collaboration and communication within the department, the editorial team and with other key partners in Planning and Design, Guest Experience and Public Relations.
– Take the lead in managing personalization on the website and in e-communications. This position will take responsibility for implementing this work in partnership with the Online Communications Coordinator.
– Work with editorial team to source and develop content as needed for email and web.
– Manage the Online Communications Coordinator, providing direction, leadership and professional development to continue to build skills. Also recruit and manage interns and part time employees (as appropriate) to support our online efforts.
– Work with manager to establish organizational workflow for requests and project needs. Provide excellent customer service while managing incoming commitments and requests.
– Regularly assess developments and innovations in online communications to update the team and identify new opportunities. Regularly provide updates on innovations and best practices to manager to discuss next steps for Shedd.
– Take the lead on measuring Shedd’s success online. Work with supervisor to determine metrics and reporting formats, and provide data and analysis regularly. Use data to drive decisions for future content and developments in Shedd’s online program.
– Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field required.
– Strong understanding of online communications strategy, branding, digital and social media, with a keen focus on trends and innovations in the digital space.
– Experience with personalization and conditional content strategy and implementation.
– Online fundraising campaign experience, preferred.
– Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
– Ability to juggle numerous projects with attention to both process and people. Must have excellent people skills.
– Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
– Must have a guest focus and a commitment to excellence
– Calm and collected demeanor. Willingness to support the team at every level.
– Detail oriented and exceptional organizational skills required.
– Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.