I’m looking for someone rad to join our marketing team at the Monterey Bay. Aquarium. Our Marketing Operations Manager will keep all the creative and technical folks rowing in the same direction and feeling good about how organized and on top of things we are. This person will report to Dana Allen-Greil (VP of Marketing) and will work with folks all over the Aquarium–from Animal Care, Guest Experience, Education, Exhibitions, Conservation & Science, IT, Membership & Development, etc. It’s a great way to get to know all parts of an org. (Hybrid, not fully remote.)
Marketing Operations Manager
Manage, coordinate, and provide leadership on Monterey Bay Aquarium marketing projects, and ensure that all assigned projects achieve their goals completely and efficiently, while adhering to project schedules, budgets, constraints, design intent, and quality standards. Maintain systems and tools of the Marketing division, including intake, review, project management, and retrospective review of all creative projects and marketing campaigns. Manage a portfolio of medium and large, complex, marketing projects from concept development through completion and takes responsibility for leading collaborative, cross-disciplinary project teams to produce outstanding public-facing marketing work. Assist the Marketing team with setting direction by prioritizing and organizing projects and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to marketing strategy development. Perform other duties as required.
- Develop and manage marketing project briefs (scope and creative approach) and project plans (deliverables, schedules, responsibility charts) for medium to large cross functional marketing projects at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Produce and present quarterly status reports related to progress, budget, and schedule, developing risk mitigation strategies at all phases.
- Develop new (or refine existing) processes, standards, and procedures to implement strategic project goals completely and efficiently.
- Maintain and configure tools for project management (e.g., Asana) and annual planning (e.g., Airtable) and provide guidance and training to team members on standard operating procedures.
- Lead cross-functional project meetings across multiple departments and divisions, managing overall project communication and coordination.
- Communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally about marketing projects to individual team members, Marketing teams, and to other departments to ensure deadlines are met and quality standards are achieved.
- Lead collaborative processes (e.g, brainstorming, feedback and decision-making sessions, creative brief writing, retrospective reviews), creating an open, inclusive, and iterative environment for a variety of disciplines (content, design, analytics, communications, advertising) to contribute their best work in line with the project constraints and parameters.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Directors on resource management, project prioritization, and quarterly and annual planning. Ensure strategic budget investments are monitored and accounted for throughout the year.
- Define and develop scopes of work, requests for proposal, and award of contracts. Manage select contractors, including invoice management, and ensuring deliverables adhere to project parameters.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in a related field (e.g., Marketing, Communications, Project Management)
- Minimum 5 years experience in Marketing, Communications, or Project Management
- Minimum of four years experience managing multiple and competing priorities, proactive task setting, tracking and communication to stakeholders
- Minimum of four years experience convening working groups from multiple disciplines or departments and leading the team to achieve project success
- Deep or mastery level knowledge of project management and collaborative design processes
- Comfort using Asana, Airtable, or similar project management tools
- Working knowledge of multiple creative disciplines, including brand strategy, design, and content creation
- Leadership qualities with strong team building, communication, facilitation, and active listening skills required
- Ability to build and coordinate large project teams with varying expertise from design through launch, including marketing content and design (e.g., website projects and online content, print publications, advertising and promotion campaigns, social media and email marketing campaigns, and earned media and communications efforts)
- Experience preparing and managing large project budgets ($100k+)
- Proven ability to work effectively and efficiently under multiple, competing deadlines
- Experience leading teams and stakeholders to adopt new processes and procedures
- Ability to bring clarity to ambiguous environments and drive a team forward
- Ability to communicate effectively, diplomatically, honestly, and sensitively with all levels of management and staff
- Proven ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving
- Ability to work within, and maintain Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Core Values
Annual Compensation Range Minimum:
$68,800.00 USD annually. Starting rate will vary based on previous experience and relevant skills/knowledge set.