Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our main campus is located in the Helsinki metropolitan area, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness in the future as well. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
The School of Arts, Design and Architecture (ARTS) is an institution of higher education for design, media, architecture, motion picture, art education and art. The current key areas of research are design, digital media, audiovisual representation, art, visual culture, welfare architecture and emerging technologies as well as urban planning and design. The school produces specialists and innovators of art, design and architecture with strong artistic and technical skills.
As part of our EU-H2020 project, Social Cohesion, Participation, and Inclusion through Cultural Heritage we offer a fixed term position at the Department of Media for an interdisciplinary
Research assistant or Doctoral candidate
We are looking for a doctoral candidate or recently graduated, or advanced Masters student in the area of data (cultural) analytics with interest in doing interdisciplinary research in new media and virtual museology. The position is two years (full time).
Your role and goals
You will work as part of the team in the Systems of Representation research group. Experience required extends to domains encompassing:
1. Data analytics, network visualization and social media in the context of cultural heritage.
2. Interactive visualization design and implementation.
The work realized in these domains will be used to support and further develop citizen curation methods and activities through co-design.
Your network and team
Systems of Representation research group is based in the Media Lab at Aalto ARTS. You will work closely with Design Museum Helsinki as well as other members of SPICE consortium.
Your experience and ambitions
Requirements for the position:
– Experience with visual communication, especially working with dynamic information visualizations.
– Thorough knowledge of social media applications and their APIs.
– Track record and technical proficiency to realize the project\\\’s ideas.
– Good communication and writing skills in English. Fluency or an interest to learn Finnish is highly appreciated.
– The person must be able to relocate to Finland.
Salary and contract terms
The salary is determined based on your experience and qualifications according to the salary system of Aalto University. We are located in the Otaniemi campus of Aalto University in Espoo, Helsinki metropolitan area. The position will be fulfilled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
How to apply?
Please submit your application through our recruiting system by using the link at the bottom of https://www.aalto.fi/en/open-positions/research-assistant-or-doctoral-candidate-in-the-area-of-new-media-and-virtual. Please include the following documents in English, in PDF format, combined to 4 files:
1. Application letter
2. Scanned degree certificates from each university attended, including official register of study courses taken for the latest degrees (transcripts of records).
3. Curriculum Vitae (CV) including list of publications, if applicable.
4. Portfolio or documentation demonstrating experience in the aforementioned domains.
In addition: two letters of recommendation, to be sent directly to ilona.kallio(at)aalto.fi.
We will start reviewing and interviewing candidates immediately, until the position is filled.
For further inquiries and recruitment process related questions, please contact HR Coordinator Ilona Kallio, ilona.kallio(at)aalto.fi.
In Espoo, April 21, 2021