Job Title: Research Associate in Modern and Contemporary Art
Department: Curatorial Affairs
Reports To: Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Full-Time
Please submit applications directly on the Toledo Museum of Art website http://www.toledomuseum.org/jobs.
Since our founding in 1901, the Toledo Museum of Art has earned a global reputation for the quality of our collection, our innovative and extensive education programs, and our architecturally significant campus.
And thanks to the benevolence of its founders, as well as the continued support of its members, TMA remains a privately endowed, non-profit institution and opens its collection to the public, free of charge.
The Toledo Museum of Art seeks a Research Associate who will provide support for the Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art and overall curatorial team with scholarly and administrative tasks for forthcoming acquisitions, collection displays, temporary exhibitions, and the planning phases of a museum-wide reimagining of TMA’s collections. The Research Associate will also participate in an assessment of the Museum’s Modern and Contemporary art collection. The role is best suited to a candidate with strong research skills, attention to detail, and a generalist’s knowledge of Modern and Contemporary art across all media. We welcome candidates dedicated to highlighting a diverse array, particularly underrecognized narratives, to share with the Museum’s local, national, and international communities.
The Research Associate will join a collaborative curatorial department and Museum, working closely with other departments across the institution, including but not limited to Belonging, Brand Strategy, Collections & Exhibitions, Conservation, Development, Learning & Interpretation, and others outside the Museum.
Research demonstrates that individuals from underrepresented backgrounds tend to apply to jobs if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Since we recognize meeting all qualifications is highly unlikely, if much of the below appears to describe you, we encourage you to apply for this position.
- Researches works of art in the collection; with Conservation and Registration, maintains and updates the museum’s collections database, as needed.
- Supports acquisitions with research and drafting Works of Art for Consideration forms.
- Assists Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art in exhibition organization, including but not limited to loans and loan correspondence; artist, gallery, and/or museum correspondence; organizing meetings; preparing checklists, labels/didactics, and related written outreach materials, etc.
- Provides project management support for Modern and Contemporary curatorial projects and assists in the tracking and execution of interpretive plans to related projects.
- Liaises with other Museum departments to communicates updates and key information about curatorial projects in a timely manner.
- Assists with current Modern and Contemporary galleries, including rotations and installations.
- Participates in related events and public programs.
- Travels, on occasion, as a museum courier, as well as for research, conferences, and professional development.
- Develops content for social media updates, website content, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in art history or related field
- 2+ years of research experience required
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, COMPETENCIES, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- A collaborative colleague that can also work independently.
- Ability to travel as assigned.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and basic office functions.
- Familiarity with The Museum System (TMS) or related collections database is preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Standard open office work environment shared with co-workers, with related phone, computer and printer noise. Position requires ability operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, printer and phone system; May occasionally lift up to 25 pounds; Support given to various departments across campus may result in occasional exposure to uncomfortable weather conditions.
- 25 Days of Paid Time Off Annually
- 6 Paid Holidays Annually
- 2 Paid Floating Holidays Annually
- 3 Paid Volunteer Days Annually
- Birthday Paid Day Off
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Savings Plan
- Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Term Life and AD&D Insurance Plans
- Paid Parental Leave
- Pet Insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Museum Family Membership
- Employee Discounts in the Museum Store, Café, Studio Art Classes, & More!
The Toledo Museum of Art provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants. No person shall be discriminated against in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal or state statutes. The Museum is committed to maintaining an environment in which all employees are treated equitably and given the opportunity to achieve their full potential in the workplace. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com or (567)-666-0387.