Under general direction, the Retail & E-Commerce Manager is responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of the FAMSF Online Store including the planning, defining and achieving of sales, customer service, and earned revenue goals through the retail eCommerce channels. The Retail & E-Commerce Manager is also responsible for developing and implementing retail marketing strategies and campaigns across all online, digital, retail, and wholesale sales channels, working closely with the Marketing & Communications, Membership, IT, Web/Digital, and Publications departments, to achieve sales goals, drive earned revenue, and further the educational mission of the Museum Stores.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and manages the online store, ensuring performance and sales are maximized, the technology and operation runs smoothly, and the content management system and calendar are current and appropriate to drive and maximize earned revenue.
- Develops and manages the creative content of the online store and social media shops to ensure timely updates and a smooth and efficient retail eCommerce operations. Plans and coordinates Online store channel strategies, including theme updates, homepage and store merchandising features, and discounts and promotions in accordance with department and museum strategies and activities.
- Initiates and drives retail email marketing, promotional, and advertising campaigns related to museum programs and events to maximize sales, target audiences, and increase retail email marketing lists and response rates. Collaborates and works with Museum departments to target and segment retail email marketing, direct-mail, promotional and social media activities to ensure efforts drive revenue and are integrated with overall museum strategies.
- Develops and implements retail email marketing campaigns, social media shops and other digital retail strategies; plan and develop content, writes appropriate copy and selects appropriate images in concert with the Museums’ exhibitions and programs as well as public holiday and advocacy opportunities. Creates and maintains the retail email marketing schedule and liaises with other Museum email marketing stakeholders to coordinate and optimize releases.
- Oversees all planning and production of digital images and related content for retail channels, including online and print. Plan and develop digital image strategy, photoshoots, and image production requirements in accordance with marketing and promotional strategies tied to the Museums’ exhibitions, programs and mission.
- Manages and supervises the Retail & E-Commerce Coordinator to ensure the online store content and products are sourced, merchandised, and published with quality in a detailed and timely manner.
- Responsible for the overall external Retail customer service experience, ensuring customer experiences are exceeded and inquiries are consistently addressed and resolved in a professional, timely, and efficient manner.
- Works closely with the Merchandise Manager, Book & Media Manager and Retail & eCommerce Coordinator to plan and development online store assortments and product features in accordance with the museums’ collections and exhibitions.
- Works closely with the Store Operations and Receiving/Fulfillment staff to ensure a smooth and efficient order management and fulfillment operations in a timely and resource effective manner with the goal of exceeding customer expectations and driving revenue.
- Manages the eCommerce system technologies and integrations with platform and system providers to ensure timely and smooth operations. Works with the IT and Data Service departments to manage CRM data, optimize performance and resolve any issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Plans and develops the online store sales plans and budgets. Reports weekly, monthly and annual sales and KPI’s. Projects sales and expenses by budget codes, and ensures sales projections meet or exceed budget expectation, expenses are within budget.
- Develops and documents online store policies and procedures, including workflow best-practices, operations, logistics, customer service and technical procedures. Ensures information is timely and kept up-to-date.
- Develops and writes store marketing copy, press releases, blogs, postings, etc. relating to store activities including special events, exhibition stores, seasonal business, and product highlights.
- Works with the Web & Digital, Marketing & Communications, Membership, Data Services, IT, and Publications departments to coordinate and ensure maximum museum store presence, exposure and communication to members and the general public through the museum’s website and digital channels.
- Manages all Online store gift guide and retail direct mail programs supporting retail marketing initiatives with design, technology providers, printers, and mail houses to ensure schedules are met in a timely fashion and materials are published and delivered as scheduled.
- Develops and manages the retail wholesale program with an online wholesale site to drive additional earned revenue of custom museum developed products. Ensures orders are dispatched, customers are served, and payments are received in a timely and efficient manner.
- Increase the Museum Stores’ brand position by keeping abreast of competition, retail eCommerce, and market trends. Develops and implements the appropriate new strategies to gain and ensure competitive advantage and achieve best-in-class standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Six years’ experience working in retail eCommerce, online marketing, direct mail and/or retail marketing, consumer marketing and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with Shopify Plus or Shopify a plus.
Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with e-commerce shopping cart and mobile solutions, such as Shopify, Magento, Big Commerce, and other e-commerce transactional solutions.
- Experience with email marketing platforms such as MailChimp, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, and other email marketing solutions.
- Experience in social media shops, technologies and strategies, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and other new and innovative online vehicles.
- Knowledge of the latest web production standards, practices, and applications including, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Yelp, etc.
- Experience writing and editing HTML code
- Excellent knowledge of PC platform required
- Experience with digital product photography
- Experience with website image production and graphic tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, PhotoShop, CS, InDesign, Acrobat Professional, digital scanners and proficiency with standard office software (G-Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.)
- Highly analytical qualitatively and quantitatively to drive effective marketing strategies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with experience in copy writing, marketing writing, and editing.
- Ability to balance conflicting and competing goals of stakeholders in order to build consensus. Seek to understand stakeholders, communicating in concise terms tailored to the audience. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented, quick and efficient and able to prioritize tasks effectively and professionally take direction.
- Individual must be highly organized, visually intuitive, creative, and self-motivated.
COFAM offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Cover letter required.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
COFAM is the Corporation of Fine Arts Museums and is the privately funded non-profit corporation which supports the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, a department of the City and County of San Francisco.
COFAM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in all phases of employment in accordance with all federal, state, and local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco are the city’s largest public arts institutions and comprise the de Young and the Legion of Honor museums. The de Young, designed by Herzog & de Meuron and located in Golden Gate Park, showcases American art from the 17th through the 21st centuries, international contemporary art, textiles and costumes, and art from the Americas, the Pacific, and Africa. The Legion of Honor displays a collection of over 4,000 years of ancient and European art including Auguste Rodin’s The Thinker and houses the Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts in a Beaux-Arts style building overlooking Lincoln Park and the Golden Gate Bridge.