DIRECT LINK TO APPLY: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CHI1023/JobBoard/6f16dad2-aeb7-b3ae-7e8c-63d0684114fc/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=da9f7be6-fe4d-4cfc-b034-8505dcfc26a8
The Seasonal Groundskeeper is responsible for the care and maintenance of the grounds of The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, Inc. The Groundskeeper will work to maintain the overall appearance and cleanliness of the grounds and the daily set up and take down of tables, chairs, and equipment for Museum events and programs. He/she will assist with interior building maintenance as needed.
- Removes trash and litter from the building or campus as directed by the supervisor. Assists, as necessary, with removal of trash from museum campus to the proper location by use of museum vehicles.
- Participates in regular seasonal snow removal as necessary. This may include days when normally scheduled off.
- Responsible for the set-up, transportation and take down of equipment for museum building events and rentals (including, tables, chairs, podiums, signs, etc.). Ensures set-ups are completed on time and accurately.
- Safely and efficiently use mowers including, but not limited to, trimmers, edgers and power saws to maintain the campus landscaping. Maintains the museum’s lawn care equipment, vehicles, etc. by fueling, oils and replacement of major or minor parts. Maintains service records of all equipment.
- Routinely waters plants and monitors and maintains areas that require attention. Maintains the museum irrigation systems making adjustments and repairs as necessary. This includes individual heads, major leaks and time clock work.
- Keeps track of all grounds supplies and reports conditions or needs for re-ordering. This includes tools, ice melting agents, mower blades, belts, weed control chemicals, etc. When necessary, contacts vendors for essential supplies and arranges for them to be delivered or picked up.
- Assists, as needed, with all aspects of inside housekeeping.
The Children’s Museum is open six to seven days per week. The Sports Legends Experience is open from mid-March through October. Seasonal Housekeepers are required to work a flexible and varying schedule, which may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must possess high school diploma or GED equivalent and a valid driver’s license.
- Two (2) years of experience in grounds maintenance and/or landscaping.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours due to scheduling of museum needs. This includes weekends, holidays or normal days off.
- Experience with general lawn care equipment including, but not limited to, mowers, trimmers, edgers and power saws.
- Ability to use telephones, keep accurate and up to date written records, and some knowledge of computer systems and two-way radio systems.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and methods of grounds care to stay current with needs.
- Must be able to work in outdoor environments in adverse weather conditions (snow, rain, heat, etc.).
*Special consideration given to those applicants who are multi-lingual.
- Must be able to review forms, necessary documents, and order supplies. Must be able to view computer monitor, and observe areas of museum property.
- Must be able to communicate extensively with vendors, facilities staff, and museum staff via two-way radio, telephone, and face-to-face conversations.
- Must be able to consistently and routinely lift, carry, move and stock department supplies and museum equipment. Must be able to lift heavy objects (at minimum 50 lbs.). Must also be able to accomplish both low and high cleaning of the building (ground level to seven feet high).
- Must be able to navigate around all areas inside and outside of museum. Must also be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time and tolerate outdoor extreme heat and cold.