We Are Committed to an Inclusive Workplace
At the Philadelphia Museum of Art, we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups in the museum field, who are inspired by our shared purpose and enjoy working collaboratively with others.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.
How You Will Contribute
The Senior Backend Engineer works collaboratively with museum staff to develop innovative online user experiences which are aligned with the museum’s goals of audience development, visitor experience, activating the collection, and civic engagement, including advocating for the innovative use of technology in all aspects of the museum’s marketing, curatorial, education and visitor services programs. This individual serves as the lead developer and technical expert in designing, developing, and maintaining innovative, dynamic, and complex digital websites, effectively communicating user experience, information architecture, and design practices to internal stakeholders using design tools, visual communications, and narrative vision.
Specifically, you will:
- Prototype and deliver user-centered software solutions for websites and digital applications and identifies and oversees the work of contract developers, as necessary.
- Configure and optimize the museum’s online digital environment and system architecture.
- Create content management systems and enable content workflows.
- Develop the connections between content management system (CMS), collections information system, linked data, application programming interfaces (APIs), and other shared systems, web services, and data sources.
- Create and manage integrations between the online and infrastructure systems to feed content to all digital applications.
- Research existing and emerging technologies to determine appropriate methods of content delivery and presentation.
- Advise on applications, systems and metadata and writes technical documentation and specifications.
- Employ industry best-practices in software and website development.
Your background and experience include:
- An extensive knowledge of responsive web and back-end development practices and a sophisticated knowledge of UI development
- A firm understanding of best practices based on user-centered design, and agile and responsive principles is required.
- Must be adept at utilizing advanced web technologies such as Node.JS, GraphQL, PHP, SQL and NoSQL as well as web and proxy servers such as apache and nginx.
- Extensive API development experience.
- Advanced experience with Drupal 8 CMS, APIs and content workflow development.
- Experience working with AWS and Google Cloud platforms for digital asset management and delivery.
- Understanding of linked data and semantic web technologies such as RDF, XML, SPARQL, JSON-LD, or Schema.org.
- Knowledge of automated testing (TDD)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to provide advisory services and establish productive and collaborative working relationships.
- Minimum of five years of professional web development or relevant experience
- Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent relevant experience
Compensation for this position will be discussed during the interview stage of the hiring process. If you have specific questions regarding compensation prior to submitting your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What We Offer
Our employees are at the center of the museum and we encourage everyone to be actively engaged in museum culture and activities. As an employee, you will have access to numerous museum perks including, but not limited to:
- Free general admission to the museum for you and your immediate family
- Discounted guest tickets for general admission and special exhibitions
- Discounts on gift memberships
- Special staff tours and presentations from our world-renowned curatorial staff
- Discounts at the museum restaurant, all museum cafés, and museum retail stores
We offer a competitive benefits package* for employees including:
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Fully paid short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, and life insurance
- Health savings or flexible spending account program
- Retirement savings program with museum match
- Paid vacation, personal days, sick days, and holidays
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on a variety of factors including the employee’s regular schedule and tenure.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume with your online application at: https://philamuseum.applytojob.com/apply/OvAq5bD8bD/Senior-Backend-Engineer