At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
Under limited supervision, lead and participate in the design and production of print and digital projects, materials and products including, but not limited to, integrated campaigns, publications, web pages, emails, ads, social media graphics, animations, events, retail graphics and products, events, and presentations. Develop, direct, create, and present concepts and designs that are on-brand, on-brief and on-time. Contribute to projects from concept through delivery, proactively solving design problems and helping to drive the overall look and feel of the Monterey Bay Aquarium brand. In addition to hands-on design, work with agencies, vendors and contractors to oversee projects and processes. Champion our brand, helping to guide, monitor and maintain the quality, integrity and consistency of the Monterey Bay Aquarium look and feel across all relevant executions. Keep up with relevant trends and standards. May supervise the work of one or more designers and/or contractors. Perform other duties as required.
The Sr. Brand Designer is an integral part of our Design & Brand Management department that works collaboratively to promote visitation and advance the goals and mission of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They are a multidisciplinary designer who will play a key role in the development and delivery of engaging cross-channel content, ensuring consistent visual brand experiences across all Aquarium platforms and touchpoints.
- Conceptualize and share ideas and solutions for a variety of digital and print projects and platforms supporting a multi-channel brand strategy.
- Lead the design process and creation of thoughtful, informed, and appropriate design solutions based on approved concepts.
- Package and deliver press-ready design files according to required specifications of respective channel/medium; archive completed production files.
- Provide art and design direction to internal and external designers, photographers, videographers, and content creators based
- on established guidelines and standards.
- Manage and mentor junior design staff, providing appropriate design direction, coaching, and opportunity for professional development.
- Produce and edit visual assets (photography, video/animation, illustration) for use across all marketing channels.
- Engage with agencies/consultants, illustrators, photographers, printers, videographers, animators, and designers as needed, sharing relevant project information and designs, evaluating submittals, making recommendations to the team, and coordinating work through the duration of a project.
- Present and pitch concepts and ideas through sketches, wireframes, visual comps and interactive prototypes.
- Work with extended teams to identify project scope, budget, scheduling, and resources.
- Contribute to the development of, and provide creative input/feedback on marketing briefs.
- Use shared project management software to build and update projects, assignments, and tasks according to briefs and specifications.
- Provide design and usability feedback to content creators in Marketing and other Aquarium teams based on established design guidelines and standards.
- Advise other teams on Marketing’s best practices in diversity, equity, inclusivity, and accessibility, integrating them throughout all phases of design and production; utilize and make suggested improvements to the Marketing DEIA filter.
- Evaluate data, user behavior and analytics to determine the effectiveness of designs.
- Recommend and implement improvements to the Aquarium’s visual brand & identity guidelines.
- Contact vendors, obtain quotes, and participate in selection process for outsourcing of design work.
- Develop design templates for use by Aquarium staff; provide related training and support as needed.
- Inspect proofs for accuracy and adherence to standards to ensure quality control of designs and content.
- Present and participate in brand and marketing presentations and trainings for Aquarium staff and beyond (brand guidelines, DAM, CMS).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- B.A. in a related field, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Minimum 4-5 years of prior design and art direction experience with progressively increased design and leadership responsibilities
- Ability to think creatively, strategically and technically
- Ability to efficiently manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Collaborative and empathetic, with a passion for the ocean and conservation
- Impeccable sense of design, typography, and aesthetic principles – demonstrated through an online portfolio of relevant work
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to apply design and usability principles within a structured CMS (Content Management System)
- Creative and proactive problem solver
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of typography, color, visual communication + design
- Experience working within brand guidelines
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Understanding and ability to apply web usability and accessibility best practices
- Willingness to participate in brainstorm sessions and ability to communicate ideas clearly
- Adaptable with a desire to learn new design skills, techniques, and technologies
- Experience working on print and digital products
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS
- Familiarity with prototyping tools such as Sketch, Figma, Invision
- Experience shooting and editing Photography/Video
- Experience creating motion graphics/animation (Adobe After Effects)
- Comfortable giving and receiving design direction and feedback; Ability to iterate based on feedback
- Ability to synthesize complex information into usable designs that meet project goals and expectations
- Understand and appreciate best-practices and design principles
- Passionate about design and branding
- Ability to work within, and maintain Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Core Values
Annual Compensation Range Minimum:
$78,200.00 USD annually. Starting rate will vary based on previous experience and relevant skills/knowledge set.