The Metropolitan Museum of Art is hiring a Senior Collection Information Analyst in our Digital Department. Application information can be found on LinkedIn.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art collects, studies, conserves, and presents significant works of art across all times and cultures in order to connect people to creativity, knowledge, and ideas.
The Met presents over 5,000 years of art from around the world for everyone to experience and enjoy. The Museum lives in two iconic sites in New York City—The Met Fifth Avenue and The Met Cloisters. Since it was founded in 1870, The Met has always aspired to be more than a treasury of rare and beautiful objects. Every day, art comes alive in the Museum’s galleries and through its exhibitions and events, revealing both new ideas and unexpected connections across time and across cultures.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
The Senior Collection Information Analyst supports the Museum’s collections management system (TMS), is responsible for assessing documentation across departments to ensure compliance with cataloging standards, coordinates the implementation of museum-wide cataloging standards, creates and maintains custom reports, provides user support and training, and oversees data entry and data cleanup projects.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
· Audit collections database records to ensure accuracy and consistency with Museum cataloguing standards.
· Create and maintain advanced reports and supporting documentation for Museum departments.
· Implement data standards and organize data cleanup activities with curatorial representatives; apply high attention to detail and an understanding of curatorial needs and concerns.
· Assist with TMS training for new museum staff, interns, and volunteers as part of the museum onboarding process.
· Create new TMS user accounts and assign user security settings as is appropriate for the staff member.
· Update TMS security groups as necessary based on departmental needs.
· Work directly with curatorial cataloguing staff, understanding needs and helping to develop internal workflows for efficient and effective cataloguing practice.
· Assist in providing first level support to museum staff regarding use of TMS.
· Assess documentation across collections-related databases and determine where information is incomplete or inconsistent.
· Assist with department data entry projects as needed.
· Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
· Minimum 3 years working with museum cataloguing or collections management systems, with a strong preference for experience with The Museum System (TMS).
· Experience with end-user support and training; strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Proven knowledge and understanding of relational database systems.
· Excellent organizational, proofreading, and analytical skills, with meticulous attention to detail
· Ability to work independently.
· Proficient use of the English language, both in written and oral form.
· Positive attitude; enjoys exchanging ideas and working in a team environment.
Knowledge and Education:
· Excellent knowledge of Crystal Reports
· Experience with SQL Server Reporting Services
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
· Strong relational database skills (Access and SQL Server preferred)