About the job
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
Under limited supervision, create digital and print content that educates, engages, and delights the Aquarium’s audiences across our owned channels and platforms, including creative concept ideation, asset creation, and coordination as well as content-related project management. Communicate the Aquarium’s voice and adapt it for various platforms and channels. Research, plan and write, as well as provide feedback, edit, and proofread. Collaborate with internal clients to provide editorial direction that fulfills project and institutional goals, and alongside other members of the Marketing team to create content that’s rich and engaging. Perform other duties as required. This role is an experienced and versatile storyteller that possess a range of technical skills to support content creation and use tools of the trade such as web content management systems (CMS), email service providers (ESPs), text messaging platforms (SMS), video-editing and live streaming software, and social media platforms to create and deliver content. Perform other duties as required.An experienced and versatile storyteller, the senior content creator makes digital and print content that educates, engages, and delights the Aquarium’s audiences across our owned channels and platforms. This role includes creative concept ideation, asset creation, and coordination as well as content-related project management. The senior content creator is an expert in communicating the Aquarium’s voice and adapting it for various platforms and channels. Responsibilities include researching, planning and writing, as well as providing feedback, editing, and proofreading. The senior content creator works with internal clients to provide editorial direction that fulfills project and institutional goals, and works alongside other members of the Marketing team to create content that’s rich and engaging. They possess a range of technical skills to support content creation and use tools of the trade such as web content management systems (CMS), email service providers (ESPs), text messaging platforms (SMS), video-editing and live streaming software, and social media platforms to create and deliver content.
- Ideate content approaches with other creators, strategists, designers and stakeholders.
- Write original and complex content for social posts, web stories and pages, marketing emails, SMS, video scripts and print publications.
- Write UX and interface microcopy to support web transactions.
- Edit and proofread content written by peers and junior team members. Collaborate with team members to provide feedback during the content production process (including for video).
- Post content on social channels, publish web pages and build emails in collaboration with design team. Use tools like the CMS, ESP, social media management tool and native social platforms to push content to our audiences. Configure advanced settings in CMS. Manage the technical aspects of a live stream.
- Shoot and edit video for short-, medium- and long-form videos delivered on our digital channels.
- Research SEO keywords and create video and web content optimized for search engines.
- Monitor content performance against established KPIs.
- Craft responses to questions and comments in social media feeds or direct messages on their own, and resolve questions escalated by junior staff.
- Lead small and medium projects, determine content and channel strategies, write briefs or contribute to briefs for larger projects. Coordinate closely with other creators, strategists, designers and members of the performance marketing team and other stakeholders to achieve project objectives.
- Advocate for user/audience needs throughout website feature development process. Confirm new feature releases and bug fixes work as expected. Run small user tests as needed.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- BA in communications, marketing, English, cinematic arts or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- At least four years of related content creation experience
- Expert storyteller with an eye for creating compelling content
- Subject matter proficiency related to basic marine biology or environmental science; or in marketing, UX, SEO or social media
- Ability to produce video content (including script writing, filming, editing, and serving as onscreen host) for digital distribution
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Premier and Photoshop
- Excellent written communications skills; can turn complex ideas into clear, simple language; excellent editing, copyediting and proofreading skills
- Able to take initiative and prioritize tasks; excellent time management and respect for deadlines
- Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within cross-departmental teams
- Able to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekend
- Ability to work within and maintain Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Core Values
Annual Compensation Range Minimum:$69,800.00 USD annually. Starting rate will vary based on previous experience and relevant skills/knowledge set.