TITLE: SENIOR MANAGER, DIGITAL CONTENT
REPORTS TO: Chief Digital Officer
The Met’s Digital department is looking to hire a leader to help tell the stories of The Met across its digital products. We want to hire a compelling, creative and experienced editor who can help make 5,000 years of contemporary art come alive. A strong storyteller who understands the changing media landscape and how institutions like The Met can thrive in it. A visionary who is excited about the endless possibilities of the cultural sector and knows how to capitalize on The Met’s strengths and its vast global audience. Someone who can motivate others to produce outstanding content and who brings out the best in his/her colleagues.
The Senior Manager, Digital Content, is a new position at The Met, and we seek a strategic thinker who will lead the Digital department’s content strategy and work across multiple groups within the department and throughout the Museum. This role will help transform the Museum’s approach to content publishing across digital platforms to capitalize on opportunities presented by the rising influence of mobile technologies and a significant shift in the ways people are consuming digital content today.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in publishing content on multiple platforms—web, social, apps, mobile, whatever’s next—and is a strong advocate for cross-platform publishing. An obsession with analytics, search engine optimization and compelling storytelling will be required.
A recent Met blog post outlines the Museum’s digital strategy [ http://bit.ly/metdstrategy ]; this role is a critical part of the implementation of that strategy.
- Manage, lead, develop and mentor a strong team of content producers
- Develop, implement and maintain a digital content strategy for the Museum
- Oversee the production and quality of content across our digital products, including the website, the Met App, social media, email newsletters, the Audio Guide and in-gallery interactives
- Work with curators, conservators, publishers, educators and content producers across the Museum to help package these stories into compelling digital content experiences
- Collaborate across the department with our product, design, developer and analytics teams
- Set and manage quality standards
- Earn project and museum-wide commitment to overall content strategy
- Drive tangible and measurable results
- Manage content budgets and reporting
- Interface regularly with the Digital department leadership and museum management team to share learnings
- 7-10+ years as a digital editor and writer, ideally at a large national or international organization
- 5+ years managing teams
- Bachelor’s in media, journalism, communication technology, English, or other relevant fields. Advanced degree preferred. Training in art history preferred.
- Cultural sector/museum experience preferred
- Proven ability to balance priorities, projects, budgets and tasks
- Proven ability to deliver consistently high-quality work
- Strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Strong writing skills
- Experience with, and high level of comfort in, various digital storytelling platforms
- Experience with addressing multilingual audiences preferred
- Sense of humor required