The Museum of Anthropology (MOA) is a place of world arts and cultures with a special emphasis on First Nations, Asian and other cultural communities of British Columbia, Canada. MOA has worldwide collections which are well known for their coverage of Canadian First Nations, Arctic, Asian, European, and Pacific arts and cultures. The Museum is unique not only because of its physical setting but because it has created unusually close relationships with cultural communities in British Columbia and around the world through experimental and collaborative research methods and exhibitions. Part of MOA’s originality comes from it being a public and research and teaching museum. The cutting-edge scholarship of the Museum makes possible a range of exhibitions and events that cut across traditional disciplinary divisions to provoke creative engagement and dialogue.
The Museum’s Senior Marketing and Communications Manager position is responsible for developing a strategic vision for marketing and promoting the Museum, its programs and activities to the Museum’s multiple audiences and stakeholders at UBC, in Vancouver and worldwide.
- Develops a strategic vision for the Museum’s marketing and communications that informs short- and long-term marketing plans for the museum.
Collaborate in setting short- and long-term targets for museum attendance and engagement and develops initiatives in conjunction with Museum management and relevant staff to reach those targets.
- Identifies target markets and develops and implements comprehensive strategic marketing plans in keeping with the long-range vision.
Develops and implements marketing and communication initiatives to raise awareness of the Museum, as well as its exhibitions, public programs and events.
- Manages strategic marketing/communication projects, including publications, websites, audio/visual production, digital signage, print ads, media releases and social media engagement.
- Manages projects and coordinates workflow of content providers, editors, designers, and external service providers. Determines project timelines and budgets, ensures accuracy of information and confirms adherence to copyright and other permission requirements.
- Develops and manages the Museum’s marketing and communications budget.
- Develop media relations strategies that best position the Museum for maximum coverage and align with MOA and community engagement objectives.
- Creates effective, brand-compliant advertising and promotional campaigns for programs, exhibitions and special events.
- Develops strategic partnerships for the promotion and marketing of the Museum including developing opportunities for cooperative marketing and promotional activities with individuals, groups, cultural and educational community representatives, the media, and tourist and marketing organizations.
- Provides advice and works collaboratively with the Museum Shop, Membership, and Facility Rentals on strategies to market these services and increase participation, attendance, and revenue.
- Prepares promotional schedules and writes, edits and advises on creation of core marketing and promotional material.
- Liaises with external service providers such as media relations/PR agencies, web and print design, copywriting, photography, etc.
- Identifies and negotiates sponsorship contracts with media for exhibition and individual event promotion.
- Manages the Museum’s outreach to UBC students, faculty and staff and works with other UBC attractions and Communications groups on campus to identify and develop opportunities for cross-promotion and for enhancing the visitor experience at UBC.
- Other duties as required.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline including coursework in marketing, communications, media relations/PR, or arts administration preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of six years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum six years professional experience in marketing and communications preferably in the museum or performing arts field. Working knowledge of contemporary marketing and communications strategies and practices. Demonstrated experience working with a range of audiences including community groups, donors, artists, publicists, graphic designers, etc. Minimum of six years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, analytical skills as well as effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to work in a complex and demanding environment with a high level of attention to detail. Ability to effectively prioritize, organize and schedule workload, work under pressure, meet budget limitations and deadlines.
Strong knowledge of marketing procedures and practices and commitment to keeping up with best practices. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts. Ability to exercise tact and discretion. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Computer experience required including MS Office (Word, Power Point and Excel), content management websites such as WordPress, email marketing systems like Mail Chimp and social media. Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment. Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of people. Ability to analyze and interpret data, determine implications, and provide recommendations Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Ability to effectively market, promote, and sell products and services. Ability to compose correspondence, reports, presentations, and other written materials using clear concise business English. Ability to be thorough, accurate, and have a high level of attention to detail. Ability to efficiently and effectively coordinate tasks. Ability to communicate effectively with the media and public relations agencies. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Ability to select the most effective communication media for a situation. Ability to effectively market, promote, and sell products and services. Ability to gather, record, and organize information. Ability to develop and monitor budgets. Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment. Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of people. Ability to approach interactions with an awareness of sensitive issues. (e.g., issues concerning specific cultures) Ability to effectively use content management websites such as WordPress, email marketing systems such as Mail Chimp, social media, MS Office, MS Word, Power Point MS Excel, etc. Ability to analyze and interpret data, determine implications, and provide recommendations
SALARY RANGE: $72,811 (min) – $91,015 (mid) – $113,768 (max)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 24, 2017