Please note: this position is only open to Canadians or those already authorized to work in Canada.
The Senior Photographer is responsible for providing a wide range of
photographic and digital image services in support of the documentation,
publication, identification, security and promotion of the collections and
institutional events. This responsibility includes the supervision and
development of the Museum’s Digital Imaging Centre.
The Senior Photographer oversees the production of content for clients
expecting high-resolution, high-quality images that have important revenue
potential through licensing fees. The Senior Photographer is also
responsible for the disciplined capture of metadata associated with the
production of digital images and other digital assets within the Museum’s
• Completion of four (4) years of post-secondary education OR an acceptable
equivalent in education and practical experience. Must frequently take
additional courses to stay current with technology.
• At least eight (8) years of related experience in Museum and / or
• Ability to assume responsibility under minimum supervision. Ability to
communicate effectively with co-workers. Must have good judgement,
initiative, creativity, and organizational skills, and the ability to
• Knowledge of collections management, digital asset management, and other
database systems an asset.
• High degree of accuracy and attention to detail. Excellent planning and
organizational skills as well as the ability to manage many concurrent
projects and demonstrate grace under pressure in meeting deadlines.
• High degree of understanding of copyright/intellectual property issues,
information management policy issues and general museum practices.
• Demonstrated research skills related to photography.
• Demonstrated creativity and refined aesthetic judgment.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain
effective relationships with all levels of Museum staff.
• Medium and large format camera experience required. Knowledge of and
experience with professional image stitching and stacking software required.
Extensive digital darkroom experience required.
• Extensive (Working) knowledge of scanning, digital photography and digital
image manipulation including familiarity with Photoshop, Phocus, Nikon
Capture Pro, and other current professional imaging and colour correction
software and related imaging software applications.
• Working knowledge of most current word processing and database
applications (e.g. Microsoft Excel, Word, Access),web interface design, and
Internet functionality. Understanding various graphical formats (TIFF, GIF,
JPG, etc.) and standards
SALARY: $67,764 – $77,445 per annum
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 6 months worked
**This position is open to Canadians and permanent residents only.**
PLEASE APPLY IN WRITING TO:Mara Gunner, Human Resources,Royal Ontario
Museum, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario
M5S 2C6 or e-mail email@example.com quoting file no. 2019-063, Senior
Photographer on the subject line
Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to submit a portfolio of
The ROM is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon
request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for
Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA) to applicants invited to an interview.