About the Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Metropolitan Museum of Art collects, studies, conserves, and presents significant works of art across all times and cultures in order to connect people to creativity, knowledge, and ideas.
The Met presents over 5,000 years of art from around the world for everyone to experience and enjoy. The Museum lives in three iconic sites in New York City—The Met Fifth Avenue, The Met Breuer, and The Met Cloisters. Since it was founded in 1870, The Met has always aspired to be more than a treasury of rare and beautiful objects. Every day, art comes alive in the Museum’s galleries and through its exhibitions and events, revealing both new ideas and unexpected connections across time and across cultures.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
The Senior Producer & Editor develops public-facing content that contributes to a world class experience at The Met’s NYC venues and fulfills The Met’s mission of reaching our online audiences globally. The ideal candidate for this position is a creative thinker with an inquisitive mind and a talent for storytelling; this role works closely with other producers, media production talent and stakeholders across the Museum and with Curatorial, Education, and Communications/Marketing, to develop content that is impactful, compelling and relevant to visitors.
The Senior Producer & Editor creates content for a range of digital projects, in particular for pre-visit experiences and exhibition-related content, and works closely with colleagues in the Digital Dept’s Product and UX teams on new product development. She/he oversees projects from conception through completion and serves as the primary contact for internal and external partners. S/he creates and executes project proposals, specifications, and budgets; develops and manages multiple concurrent project plans and schedules; writes and edits web content, and ensures quality and consistency across media product lines. S/he is also the project team leader, working with and scheduling other content creators, designers, external contractors, writers, copywriters, and production teams.
Please Note: This is a two year position.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Develop, scope, edit, and produce original content for the Met’s digital channels, including editorial content, video and audio production, and online features.
- Develop and execute project schedules, tracking project status and managing team deliverables.
- Liaise between the Digital Content team and internal and external teams, ensuring the creative goals, editorial and tone guidelines, and milestones for the project are being met.
- Troubleshoot technical problems in order to ensure timely production and publication of content to the content management systems.
- Monitors updates to the site and CMS.
- Works with The Met’s Communications teams and Digital Partnerships on digital outreach and distribution.
- Work with Content Analyst on analytics and reporting to meet goal area KPIs.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
- Five plus years of experience in public-facing digital technologies, cultural journalism, media and video production, digital communications, or related field.
- Strong creative and editorial skills; impeccable writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Project management, budgeting, communication, collaboration, and organizational abilities.
- Ability to supervise and work with production teams, video crews, audio engineers, and editors.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a capacity to communicate easily and professionally with staff in diverse functional areas and departments
- Fluent in new developments in digital storytelling, technologies, and delivery
- Ability to handle multiple complex tasks, manage deadlines, and coordinate/produce time-sensitive materials. Must be able to produce multiple projects on time and within budget.
- Values collaboration yet has the confidence to recommend and own new ideas.
- Enthusiasm, initiative, and a strong sense of self-motivation and follow-through are key qualities for this position.
Knowledge and Education:
- BA or MA required; advanced degree with a concentration in media production, digital communications, journalism, and visual or moving image arts, desired.
- Technical familiarity and expertise with media editing tools and software, such as Premier, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office Suite desired.