The Senior Manager of Social Media develops, executes, and evaluates creative social media strategies designed to increase awareness of and engagement with the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. Reporting to the Director of Digital Strategy, this position is responsible for creating a cohesive social media strategy in line with the FAMSF brand and the overarching digital content strategy. Keeping abreast of social media trends, and informed by the performance of FAMSF content across all owned social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and TikTok), the Senior Manager of Social Media defines the goals for each channel and sets the strategy to reach them. With assistance from the Associate Social Media Manager and in collaboration with the in-house digital media production and graphic design teams, the Senior Manager of Social Media will create engaging narratives to enhance the public image of the de Young and Legion of Honor, in line with our Museums’ values, mission, and positioning. This position is perfect for a creative thinker with previous managerial experience, track record of leading social media accounts’ growth and engagement, a good knowledge of the art world and a thumb on the pulse of San Francisco.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and execution of the overall social media strategy for FAMSF. The Senior Manager of Social Media works to generate original content and signature series across social media channels, communicating the many facets of the Museums, elevating the FAMSF brand while increasing audience engagement.
- In collaboration with Web Managing Editor, Assistant Social Media Manager, and other members of the Web and Digital Strategy team, establishes a consistent tone and message across digital channels that actively supports larger institutional voices.
- Works closely and collaboratively with in-house Digital Media Producers to generate signature FAMSF formats and content types that elevate FAMSF brand online.
- Keeps abreast of ever-evolving digital trends, best practices, and new opportunities. Makes strategic pivots to organic content strategy as needed.
- Identifies and cultivates relationships with key influencers.
- Consults and collaborates with the Marketing team on paid media campaigns as needed.
- Oversees FAMSF social media calendars for all channels including, but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and TikTok.
- Finds new opportunities to integrate social media into FAMSF presences online, on-site, and in-gallery at the de Young and Legion of Honor.
- Tracks analytics to establish key success patterns and target demographics. Prepares monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports that detail and assess key metrics. Makes strategic recommendations to update content strategy based on findings.
- Provides strategic recommendations on key digital initiatives.
- Provides live coverage at key institutional events.
- Mentors and supervises the Social Media team, typically one staff member (Assistant Social Media Manager). May also supervise a seasonal intern. Provides guidance for professional growth.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in English, communications, media studies, social or digital media, or equivalent experience. Prior brand agency experience is highly appreciated.
Work Experience: Minimum of four years in the social media field. Demonstrated track record of creating successful campaigns, growing online audiences, and increasing engagement. Experience managing direct reports.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of best practices in social media arena
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities at the same time
- Discretion to handle confidential information
- Excellent collaborative, strategic planning, and project management skills
- A high level of initiative
- Ability to pivot as needed
- Comfort in Photoshop
- Absolute attention to detail
- Experience supervising staff
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
This position is full-time, 40 hours a week. The benefits package includes medical, dental, vision and 401(k), and paid time off.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
If you require an alternative method of completing this application please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All new COFAM employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Learn more about the expectations and qualifications for this role in the job description linked below under ‘More details’.
COFAM is the Corporation of Fine Arts Museums and is the privately funded non-profit corporation which supports the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, a department of the City and County of San Francisco.
COFAM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in all phases of employment in accordance with all federal, state, and local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Comprising the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park and the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park, we are the largest public arts institution in the City of San Francisco and one of the largest art museums in the United States. The de Young, designed by Herzog & de Meuron and located in Golden Gate Park, showcases American art from the 17th through the 21st centuries, international contemporary art, textiles and costumes, and art from the Americas, the Pacific, and Africa. The Legion of Honor displays a collection of over 4,000 years of ancient and European art including Auguste Rodin’s The Thinker and houses the Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts in a Beaux-Arts style building overlooking Lincoln Park and the Golden Gate Bridge.