The Exploratorium is a not-for-profit museum dedicated to the public understanding of science, art, and human perception. It has pioneered the role of museums as active teaching centers with original programming based on an interactive approach to learning. It serves as an interdisciplinary resource for schools, universities, scientists, and artists, as well as for the public.
Primary responsibilities include developing new features and supporting a variety of web platforms, with special emphasis on the Exploratorium’s Drupal and WordPress websites. The candidate should possess strong technical design and demonstrate proficiency with common programming/scripting languages and databases in a mixed-platform computing environment. The Senior Web Developer position is located in the Online Media group within the Exhibits & Media Studio and reports directly to the Director of Web Development.
- Design, develop, and maintain software for online and networked interactive platforms including:
- Websites and applications
- Web publishing content management system customizations (Drupal & WordPress)
- Data conversion and migration tools
- Mobile applications
- Document project process and results, including the creation of written reports, code documentation, code walkthroughs, and other documentation of work.
- Work collaboratively with web developers, project managers, project directors, artists, researchers, evaluators, and educators.
- Manage own projects, meet deadlines and participate in project team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, information technology, or related field.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience developing web-based applications and tools, preferably in a formal or informal education environment.
- Proficiency developing database applications with MySQL or related relational database systems.
- Proficiency working with commercial and open-source APIs and software libraries.
- Proficiency with software development processes including analysis, design, prototyping, debugging, and testing.
- Experience using source code control with Git and remote repository management.
- Excellent knowledge of web browsers, cookie handling, and session management.
- Proficiency working in a mixed platform environment with Macintosh, Windows, mobile browsers on the client side and Unix/Linux on the server side.
- Experience using VPNs and secure file transfer protocols.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with project teams.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent documentation creation / revision skills.
- Excellent analytical abilities.
- Willingness to learn new programming languages and tools.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Experience with object-oriented software design.
- Experience implementing applications with SSL and other security protocols.
- Experience developing mobile applications for IOS and/or Android.
- Experience with the Model-View-Controller systems development paradigm.
- Experience with tools for developing server side web applications such as Node.js
- Experience creating interfaces between Drupal and CRM systems.
- Familiarity with SOLR search engine customization.
- Familiarity with web audience analytics and user-survey data collection and analysis software and methodologies.
This position is open until January 8, 2016.
HOW TO APPLY
This is regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week) exempt, union position that includes benefits. To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to:
SENIOR WEB DEVELOPER
(Please include position title as subject heading)
Pier 17, Ste. 100, San Francisco, CA 94111
No phone calls, please
The Exploratorium is committed to a diverse workforce.