We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
We’re seeking an experienced Senior Web & Interactive Manager to serve as channel and cross-functional team lead for web, ecommerce, mobile apps, webcam, and exhibit interactive products. Facilitating cross-divisional input to develop overall strategy, goals, and roadmap, this role will guide optimization of calacademy.org to drive over $9M of revenue and over 4M sessions annually, support engagement goals, and ultimately help achieve the Academy’s mission of regenerating the natural world. The Senior Web & Interactive Manager will provide project management support, ecommerce expertise, and analytics insights to guide the cross-functional team’s work on web, ecommerce, and exhibit interactive projects. The Senior Web & Interactive Manager will directly manage two full stack web developers, and will also collaborate closely with stakeholders across the Academy. Reporting to the Marketing Director, this role will help the team apply a customer-centric, data-driven approach to defining digital strategies and evaluating success.
We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are intrinsic to Academy culture and operations, from recruitment and retention to science and advocacy. Explore Our Commitment to Racial Equity to learn about our intentional engagement of traditionally excluded groups in an effort to spark interest in or foster pathways to scientific careers.
To ensure the safety of our staff working onsite and to comply with the most up-to-date City and County of San Francisco’s guidelines, this job will be remote for the time being. Employees whose jobs meet the eligibility requirements for working from home may do so as long as they work out of their home in California and are able to easily come onsite when necessary.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitate a collaborative process to develop strategic vision and annual plan for web channel that aligns with organizational goals, priorities and initiatives
- Leverage expertise from cross-functional web team, and gather input and business priorities from product owners and other stakeholders
- Recommend ecommerce best practices to enhance customer experience and optimize conversions for all online transactions such as purchasing tickets, tours, memberships and making donations
- Work with developers to identify, evaluate, recommend, and implement new technology solutions for various business needs when necessary, including a migration from Drupal 7 to Drupal 9 before the end of 2022
Project Management of Web, Ecommerce and Exhibit Interactive Projects:
- Develop and oversee annual roadmap that aligns with strategic plan and business priorities
- Manage production/project calendar for web, ecommerce and exhibit interactive projects, scheduling based on business needs, priorities and efficient allocation of resources
- Gather requirements, define scope and schedule of projects, develop detailed project plans, and ensure successful completion, taking accountability for projects executed across cross functional working teams
- Oversee QA and ensure projects are completed on-time, on-budget, and at expected standards
- Develop support documentation including risk logs and requirement specifications
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders, developers, and designers in all phases of the development cycle–scoping, concept, content development, design, prototype, testing/QA, iteration, and launch
- Effectively communicate and manage stakeholder expectations throughout the development process, facilitate decision-making and proactively resolve issues
- Prepare for, facilitate, and lead recurring meetings, including weekly team meetings and present regular updates and strategic recommendations to steering committees and business stakeholders to ensure alignment, buy-in, and transparency
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve workflow to maximize team productivity
- Leverage analytics and user insights to guide customer-centric, data-driven recommendations
- Act as a web analytics lead: develop and implement a web measurement plan that identifies KPIs aligned with key goals and priorities and provide regular reports and analysis to stakeholders
- Utilize Google Analytics, Data Studio reports and other tools as needed to evaluate performance and surface insights to inform decisions and guide optimizations
- Incorporate insights from A/B tests, qualitative user testing, audience surveys and customer service feedback into recommendations
The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- 5+ years of project management in web development
- Experience managing a technical team and a distributed team
- Experience developing and executing strategic plans for complex web and interactive projects
- Ability to share a strong POV or vision for success, informed by data and industry best practices
- Proven track record as a project manager on complex web/interactive projects with demonstrated success managing multiple projects simultaneously, effectively navigating competing priorities, and facilitating decision making; experience with project management tools/platforms and ability to easily adopt new ones, is a plus
- Solid technical understanding of web/interactive and ecommerce technologies, solutions, and a desire to stay up to date with the latest trends, tools, technologies, and best practices
- Demonstrated experience and ability to use Google Analytics and integrated data visualization tools to make data-driven recommendations and monitor performance; firm understanding of SEO best practices and experience with A/B and/or user testing is a plus
- Team player with strong verbal and written communication skills, superb attention to detail, and a collaborative, solutions-oriented approach
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities who meet the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 80% of the time.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 10, 2021 at 5:00 PM. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a resume and complete the brief online application on our Careers site.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.