The Social Media Manager develops, executes, and evaluates creative social media strategies designed to increase awareness of and engagement with the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. Reporting to the Director of Digital Strategy, this position is responsible for creating a cohesive social media strategy in line with the FAMSF brand and the overarching digital content strategy. Keeping abreast of social media trends and informed by the performance of FAMSF content across all owned social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and TikTok), the Social Media Manager defines the goals for each social media channel and sets the strategy to reach them. With assistance from the Social Media Specialist, the Social Media Manager will create an engaging narrative to enhance the public image of the de Young and Legion of Honor, in line with our Museums’ values, mission, and positioning. This position is perfect for a creative thinker who can thrive in a process-driven environment and has a good knowledge of the art world, a thumb on the pulse of San Francisco, and a deep understanding of the ever-evolving world of digital media.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and executes the overall social media strategy for FAMSF. The Social Media Manager works to create original content across social media channels, communicating the many facets of the Museums but also generating specific content types that elevate the FAMSF brand and increase audience engagement.
- In collaboration with Web Managing Editor, Social Media department staff, and other members of the Web and Digital Strategy team, establishes a consistent tone and message across digital channels that actively supports larger institutional voices.
- Works closely and collaboratively with in-house Digital Media Producers to generate signature FAMSF formats and content types that elevate FAMSF brand online.
- Keeps abreast of ever-evolving digital trends, best practices, and new opportunities. Makes strategic pivots to campaigns as needed.
- Identifies and cultivates relationships with key influencers and bloggers.
- Consults and collaborates with the Marketing team on paid media campaigns.
- Manages postings on FAMSF social media channels including, but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and TikTok.
- Maintains weekly and monthly social media calendars that complement and enhance the overall narrative of the institution and align with other key digital vehicles.
- Finds new opportunities to integrate social media into FAMSF presences online, on-site, and in-gallery at the de Young and Legion of Honor.
- Tracks analytics to establish key success patterns and target demographics. Prepares monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports that detail and assess key metrics. Makes strategic pivots to campaigns based on findings.
- Provides strategic recommendations on key digital initiatives.
- Provides live coverage at key institutional events.
- Supervises the Social Media team, typically one staff member. May also supervise a seasonal intern. Provides guidance for professional growth.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in English, communications, media studies, social or digital media, or equivalent experience. Prior brand agency experience is highly appreciated.
Work Experience: Minimum of four years in the social media field. Demonstrated track record of creating successful campaigns, growing online audiences, and increasing engagement.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of best practices in social media arena
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities at the same time
- Discretion to handle confidential information
- Excellent collaborative, strategic planning, and project management skills
- A high level of initiative
- Ability to pivot as needed
- Comfort in Photoshop
- Absolute attention to detail
- Experience supervising staff
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
This position is full-time, 40 hours a week. The benefits package includes medical, dental, vision and 401(k), and paid time off.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
If you require an alternative method of completing this application please contact email@example.com.
All new COFAM employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.