We’re looking for a social media pro with PM and community-management skills — apply here!
The J. Paul Getty Trust seeks a Social Media Manager to join the Digital Content Strategy team in the Trust’s Communications Department, which crafts and designs digital experiences around the visual arts and cultural heritage in support of the Getty’s institutional vision.
We want to inspire more people to support visuals arts and cultural heritage. We think that stories about the important and interesting work done at our organization can accomplish this—and we need your help. This role is equal parts visual storytelling, digital project management, and community management: creating visual-first story packages with photography and social video, coordinating with a large group of colleagues across the organization to edit and schedule cohesive central social channels, and ensuring active listening and timely response to visitors and followers.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Organize and manage the Getty’s social media calendar for central Getty channels and coordinate and edit content from internal teams across the organization; serve as point of contact for scheduling social content.
- Working with the Digital Engagement Lead and staff across the organization, contribute ideas, develop content plans, and execute social media campaigns that inform and engage a broad international public with the value and importance of the visual arts, cultural heritage, and their study and conservation.
- Produce cross-platform multimedia story packages that spotlight the Getty’s behind-the-scenes work in research, conservation, philanthropy, and cultural heritage policy. This includes original photography, social media video, and writing and editing.
- Contribute to community management across platforms: respond to followers’ questions in a timely manner and monitor conversations and mentions relevant to the Getty brand.
- Measure, track, and report on how social content is performing, and advise colleagues how to proceed using that data.
- Keep up with trends and best practices for social media strategy and execution and share these ideas with colleagues at our organization.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably related to digital media production
- Demonstrated experience managing multi medium projects in a production environment using numerous distribution channels such as social media, web, blogs, wikis, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to creatively tell a story across platforms.
- Immersed in Internet culture.
- Experience producing original photos, video, and audio appropriate for social media, and adapting existing assets for social use—particularly for Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Translate scholarly and specialist content in engaging, friendly ways while maintaining accuracy and integrity.
- Strong writing skills with impeccable grammar, spelling, and mechanics.
- Knowledge of journalistic interviewing and writing techniques; experience with in-house brand journalism and web writing or copywriting a plus.
- Expertise in compiling and reporting on social media analytics, including setting and tracking metrics, creating concise and relevant reports, communicating findings internally, and iterating approaches based on qualitative and quantitative data.
- User-centered approach to your work; sensitivity to audience needs and interests.
- Organized and can keep track of the details.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment working on multiple tasks at once.
- A team player with a self-starting attitude.
- Excellent social skills; able to communicate and work with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- An inclusive and open-minded attitude.