The department of Digital Media at The Metropolitan Museum of Art (“Museum”) seeks a talented Software Developer to work in the support, strategy, management, dissemination and delivery of its collection data and assets to public facing technologies that support the Museum’s collection, exhibitions, and related programs. Projects include creating systems to manage and deliver collection information to the next generation of mobile, responsive, and touch capable platforms and in-gallery technologies, as well as establishing interoperability with related content, collection, and digital asset management systems.
The Software Developer will work on a number of wide-ranging and evolving initiatives to support the way collection-related information is stored, integrated and published; work with staff for requirements analysis, problem definition and solutions development; apply standards and best-practice solutions for maintaining and developing the software that supports the Museum’s information architecture.
The ideal candidate will be well versed in a range of programming languages, familiar with information standards, and able to learn and implement new technologies. Additionally, the candidate should be a self-motivated team player, with strong analytical and organizational skills. This position offers candidates opportunities to work with projects of unparalleled content within a museum environment, excellence, innovation, and visibility with an award-winning team.
- Implementation of solutions to support content editing and workflows for mobile applications and in-gallery technologies.
- Maintain, refine, and refactor, and migrate existing information management software, which includes: C# web services, SQL queries to existing databases, Drupal, XML databases, and ad-hoc data delivery systems.
- Maintain and advance data models and information processes.
- Work with technical staff to build mechanisms and APIs for exchanging data and metadata between repositories.
- Provide data analysis for internal projects.
- Ad-hoc report generation, data transformation, and delivery systems.
Desired Skills and Experience
Interested candidates must have at least 2-years experience and possess the following characteristics:
- Familiarity with XML-based information technologies required.
- Familiarity with developing software using MVC architectural pattern.
- Experience working with version control systems (e.g. git, svn, cvs).
- Demonstrate a successful track record of developing and deploying content systems is essential.
- Applicants should demonstrate an ability to work with diverse stakeholders to gather requirements, design, and implement workflows and schemas for content development in web-based systems.
- Be comfortable working within an agile development environment.Preferred qualifications:
- Familiarity with museum data standards.
- Experience designing and maintaining RESTful APIs.
- Experience working in a cultural institution or creative digital production department.
- Experience with team development tools such as JIRA and TFS.
- Experience working on mobile apps (iOS, Android, and mobile web).Knowledge and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Science, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, related fields of study, or equivalent experience required.
- 2-5 years software development experience in a client-server environment. For consideration, please include links to any work, code samples, open-source projects, conference papers, and programmer social sites that represent your professional experience and interests; email letter of interest, resume, and salary history as MS Word or PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line.