Walker Art Center is seeking a forward-thinking Senior Graphic Designer who brings fantastic visual design and typographic skills along with advanced problem-solving capabilities.
The Walker embodies progressive design through both the presentation of an eclectic mix of exhibitions, events, and initiatives as well as through the practice of its award-winning in-house design studio and influential fellowship and publishing programs. This pivotal role in our design studio is a collaborator, studio mentor, and institutional thinker. The Senior Graphic Designer will utilize a variety of artistic and communicative media for implementing Walker creative strategy, design identity and visual communications, which will include:
- Print design: flyers, postcards, magazines, etc.
- Digital design: ads, graphics, featured article designs, slideshows, etc.
- Marketing campaigns: billboards, bus stops, posters, etc.
- Book design: Walker publications and exhibition catalogues.
- Exhibition identities: title graphics, labels, ads, etc.
- Wayfinding design: signs and systems that help visitors orient to, and navigate within, the Walker campus
This position will also work in close partnership with the Design Director and Design Studio Manager in assuring the success of all studio projects.
Primary Accountabilities Include:
- Design and produce a variety of print and digital materials/projects/solutions for Walker programming areas and various communications needs across the institution.
- Actively support accessible design solutions geared towards a wide-range of audiences.
- Contribute to The Gradient, Walker’s design dept blog, on a monthly basis.
- Work collaboratively, within the design studio and across the institution, to ensure concerted, timely production of all materials, projects, and solutions.
- Assist in the training and acclimation of design fellows, interns and other new team members to the Department.
- Proactively mentor studio designers through frequent check-ins, helpful criticism and assistance as needed.
- Participate in ongoing dialogue with professional design community.
Successful candidates will be:
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Organized and efficient
- Minimum 3-5 years progressively responsible professional print/digital design experience required
- Experience in handling printing specifications, requesting print quotations, and supervising printing, and technical information related to book printing.
- Adept at computer-based design on a Macintosh platform with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and other related software programs,
- Understand current issues and trends in contemporary culture, particularly design and the arts, as well as applied knowledge of how different aspects of design impact equity, access and inclusion.
- Experience in digital video, broadcast and motion graphics, web design, and/or interactive media.
- Experience in brand-identity style guides and standards.
- Salary lower-$60’s, full-time (35 hours per week)
- Excellent benefit package with generous 403(b) contributions, Walker membership, museum discounts and a work environment in a quintessential Minneapolis location, working alongside amazing colleagues, supporting some incredible artists and programming.
For Consideration: visit www.walkerart.org/jobs to submit application materials.
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace. We are faithful to the letter and spirit of the laws that define equal employment opportunity and have pledged to affirmative action. Therefore, Walker Art Center will recruit, hire, promote and transfer qualified persons into all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or citizenship status, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military status.