About the Obama Foundation
At the Obama Foundation, we are guided by a core belief: that ordinary people working together can change history. Our mission is to inspire those people to take action, empower them to change their world for the better, and connect them so they can achieve more together than they can alone.
We were founded by community organizers, so when we seek change, we do it by bringing people together.
That approach begins at home, on the South Side of Chicago, where we are building the Obama Presidential Center. The Center represents a historic opportunity for Chicago: a chance to build a world-class museum and public gathering space that celebrates our nation’s first African American President and First Lady, steps away from where he began his career, where she was raised, and where—together—they made their home.
But that approach extends to all our work, whether it’s holding leadership training sessions in communities throughout the U.S., bringing local leaders together in countries around the world, working to support the global education of girls, or ensuring young men of color have pathways to opportunity.
As President Obama has said, “we cannot solve the challenges of our time unless we solve them together.” So join us.
For more information, please visit www.obama.org.
Purpose of the Role
The Obama Foundation is looking for an experienced product manager to join our Product and Technology team to support our north-star vision and strategic roadmap for the organization’s growing portfolio of new products, aimed at scaling our mission of inspiring, empowering, and connecting people to change their world.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing and executing upon an ambitious product roadmap aimed at catalyzing people into action. As a founding member of our growing Product and Technology team, you will provide an innovative perspective, help define and drive the future of the Foundation’s product strategy, and contribute to envisioning complex product and user experience ecosystems — not just limited to digital products but also including that of place-based experiences, like those at the future Obama Presidential Center or at the Foundation’s convenings and events.
The Staff Product Manager will report to the Director of Product Management and work closely with colleagues and other stakeholders across the organization such as our Museum, Creative and Communications, Global Programs, and Development teams.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Roadmap development and strategy execution: Execute on the Foundation’s overall product vision, strategy, and roadmap
- User Insights & innovation: In collaboration with our engineering and design teams, develop compelling, impactful products that are grounded in a deep understanding of consumer needs based on user science, feedback and metrics. Product experiences will be developed with a test and learn approach, with the ability to nimbly pivot based on data.
- Feature prioritization and backlog management: In collaboration with the larger Product and Technology team, and with input from teams across the Foundation, prioritize features and maintain a backlog of the features and capabilities needed to support both our north-star technology vision and OPC/Museum needs.
- Product delivery and iterative execution: Bring products and features to market following the team’s evolving product development process — focused on human-centered design, agile methodologies, and insights driven from data and user science. Work closely with designers and engineers to create exceptional user experiences.
- Impact evaluation and refinement: Define, track, and analyze metrics that guide product decisions. Continually assess product performance against key performance indicators.
Key Deliverables / Outcomes
- Collaborate with the Director of Product Management to craft and execute a clear product roadmap, transforming ideas, product requirements, research, data, and a creative vision into tangible features, products, and services that provide clear, scalable, useful and desirable outcomes for the Foundation’s diverse set of users
- In collaboration with colleagues, establish best practices in user-centric product development across the organization, with a focus on processes that drive efficiency as the team creates and iterates on new, best-in-class product experiences
- In partnership with colleagues, develop and execute upon continuous user research and testing
- Contribute to creative and holistic thinking across diverse product families, platforms, and releases
- Lead all phases of product development from documentation to release in an agile, fast-moving environment
- Build and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with stakeholders within and beyond the core Product and Technology team to efficiently develop and implement products that are cohesive, inclusive, and well-informed
- In collaboration with the Director of Product Management, advocate for product thinking across the organization, finding ways to clearly identify the problems we are trying to solve and scalable solutions to those problems
- Work in collaboration with the team to continually deliver innovative, differentiated and scalable product experiences that meet our goal of catalyzing people into action and change-making
- 5+ years of experience in product management; startup experience preferred
- A track record of executing and shipping high-impact initiatives from conception to completion
- Familiarity with creating products, and considering the user needs and operational considerations associated with integrated physical/digital environments
- Experience in process and metrics-driven product management highly preferred
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, coupled with a demonstrated ability to develop highly engaging, high-quality, and scalable consumer-facing experiences that solve real user needs and drive growth
- Experience with zero-to-one product management processes — including but not limited to market and competitive analysis, rapid prototyping to quickly validate new concepts, etc.
- Proficiency with agile frameworks such as Scrum, Kanban, etc. and relevant tools
- Solid technical understanding and fluency
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally with technical and non-technical team members
- Passion and commitment to inclusive and accessible design and familiarity with building products that meet digital accessibility standards
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, including the ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases
- Entrepreneurial spirit with demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to manage and work with individuals across geographic locations and with a variety of backgrounds
Apply at www.obama.org/careers.