To put ideas discussed at Superscript into practice, Hyperallergic is partnering with the Walker Art Center to announce the Superscript Blog Mentorship. This responsive blogging program will create a pop-up newsroom in the Walker Art Center Library and engage a trio of enterprising bloggers in covering the three-day event.
Superscript: Arts Journalism and Criticism in a Digital Age is a three-day international conference (May 28–30, 2015) to be held at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Co-presented by the Walker and Mn Artists, Superscript will convene artists, critics, editors, and writers for a discussion on digital cultural publishing’s present realities and its possible futures.
We are seeking three bloggers to create live online responses to the conference — under the guidance of three world-class editorial mentors, led by Hyperallergic’s Jillian Steinhauer — through short-form blogging, Q&As, profiles, issues essays, and other formats. Each participant will produce a series of blog posts to be published on the Walker blogs and Mn Artists throughout Superscript, leading up to longer piece for publication on Hyperallergic. This program aims to create a dynamic documentation of Superscript 2015 for attendees and online audiences alike, while offering emerging writers invaluable instruction from seasoned arts journalists, publication experience with three digital platforms, and access to the speakers and attendees of Superscript.
Each mentorship participant will receive:
- Free admission to Superscript (a $200 value)
- Journalistic mentorship from three top arts editors
- A $100 publication fee paid by Hyperallergic
- Publication bylines on Hyperallergic, the Walker Art Center blogs, and Mn Artists
- Access to the speakers and attendees of Superscript
- A Superscript T-shirt
- be available for a one-hour training session on Thursday evening, May 28, and throughout the duration of the conference
- have a fluent command of English (spoken and written)
- have a working knowledge of key digital tools including WordPress, Skype, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- have knowledge of and interest in contemporary art in all its forms (visual, performing, moving-image art, and new media art; design; architecture; public practice) as well as online cultural publishing
- have access to a laptop and camera for use during the conference
- be self-motivated, energetic, and open to learning
- be calm under pressure, communicative, resourceful, and efficient
Open Call for Participation
Applicants must be within three years of graduation from college and cannot derive their main source of income from arts writing. They must have a demonstrable interest and commitment to the arts as well as enthusiasm and high energy.
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com, with “Superscript Blog Mentorship Application” in the subject line:
- Cover letter stating in 500 words or fewer why you’re interested in the program and what you hope to gain from it
- 2–3 writing samples (published or personal writing accepted)
All application materials must be submitted as a single PDF.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, May 6, 2015.