The New-York Historical Society is seeking a Tech Scholars Educator on a temporary basis to lead our July and August 2021 Tech Scholars programs, in which high school girls learn to code in a supportive, all-girl environment. The Tech Scholars Educator must be available to work July 12-16, 2021 from 8 am to 4 pm (in-person), July 26-30, 2021 from 8 am to 4 pm (in-person), and August 9-13, 2021 from 9 am to 4 pm (remote). The Educator must also be available in late June 2021 for job training, which may be a mixture of remote and in-person work.
During Tech Scholars, students learn and share under-told stories of women throughout history, and code digital projects that make a difference in the world. Tech Scholars provides the technological and career training that makes STEM and STEM-related careers interesting and accessible to high school students from underserved communities, especially girls. Tech Scholars takes place both online and in the Tech Commons @ New-York Historical, a fully equipped digital learning lab and maker space that’s designed for teens and home to all our teen programs.
- Candidates must have worked in an educational setting, or youth program, with experience working with teens and establishing a strong rapport with high school students.
- Experience and facility with computer software and hardware, as well as the ability to troubleshoot issues stemming from this technology.
- A background teaching in museums or history is a plus.
- Learn all programs by studying the provided program lessons and curriculum, and conduct additional research to ensure the effective delivery of content.
- Conduct all administrative work related to leading the program, including emailing students and families, checking student work, and answering student questions.
- Helps educate and enforce health and safety procedures for on-site participants.
- Communicate with N-YHS administrative staff to ensure all programs are delivered in a timely fashion and meet expectations.
- Maintain accurate records of program delivery within personal calendars and the Education Division booking system.
- Prior to teaching, gather materials to conduct successful programs.
- Attend training to learn pedagogy and content.
- Additional duties as requested.
This is a temporary role that will be paid $30/hour while teaching, and $18/hour for training, preparation and other administrative work.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position will require the employee to lift, bend, stoop, walk, speak and stand for up to 6 hours in a day.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.