The Hammer Museum’s Temporary Part-Time Security Officers primary responsibilities are to observe and report activities and incidents during special events/programs and interact with visitors, vendors, and employees while enforcing Museum security and safety policies. Duties include providing access and/or escorts to visitors, vendors, and employees to public/restricted area. Additional duties may include safeguarding the Museum’s collections, temporary exhibitions, property, employees, and visitors through highly proactive, appropriately preemptive, and immediately responsive action. Security Officers inspect and patrol all Museum spaces on foot; monitor and operate computerized alarm, access, and closed circuit television systems; watch for, report, and address potential security and safety hazards and problems; check entrances and exits; and perform dispatch duties. They maintain and file security logs and reports, and perform other security duties as assigned by supervisors and management.
- Keen ability to observe, report, and respond to safety and security issues in both public and sensitive museum areas.
- Ability to think on one’s feet, exercise good judgment, and respond appropriately.
- Skill in interacting diplomatically with the public in a high-volume, continuous-public-contact setting.
- Ability to maintain composure in the face of resistance and hostility.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Working knowledge of standard security practices and systems, including computerized security and closed circuit television systems, or ability to learn and operate such procedures and systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English verbally and in writing, including effective radio communication, log reporting, and report writing skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact; working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Physical abilities to perform all core functions and duties.
- Ability to physically stand and walk for extended periods of time, in indoor and outdoor areas.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including overtime and varying shifts, as required.
- Physical abilities to perform all core functions and duties, including but not limited to the ability to talk; hear; stand and walk for extended periods; climb stairs; push; pull; reach; occasionally lift up to 50 pounds; manual dexterity to operate a computer; visual acuity including but not limited to color vision, depth perception, central and peripheral vision, distance vision; visual acuity to read and view computer and video monitors; ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions; ability to work overtime and varying shifts as required.
Application: please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include “Temporary Part-Time Security Officer” in the subject line. Selected applicants will be contacted. Due to the volume of resumes that we receive, we are regretfully unable to respond to phone calls and emails regarding the status of applications and the recruiting process.