The National Gallery of Art serves the nation by welcoming all people to explore and experience art, creativity, and our shared humanity. We are making a significant strategic shift to digital experience as a core way to fulfill that mission. A key part of that shift is developing content that is user-friendly, meaningful, and fun.
The Digital Experience team is looking for a UX Content Writer who can produce multi-platform digital content that engages our audience, pairing clever writing with visual assets and effective layouts that deliver maximum impact.
This positioning requires a well-rounded writer/editor with strong digital skills and a keen sense of the user. A key part of this role is reaching new audiences, particularly those outside the national capital region, and Black and Latinx audiences.
The UX Content Writer will be responsible for producing content primarily on our website, nga.gov, and across platforms and products, ensuring a consistent brand voice throughout, and developing digital content standards, best practices, and processes.
Candidates must not only have a command of style and grammar but also a strong understanding of the audience’s behaviors and needs, including how best to present content clearly in a limited space. We are seeking a quick writer who is comfortable translating academic research material into content that is accessible, relatable, and puts the user first.
The UX Content Writer works alongside the Product and UX teams to develop beautiful and usable digital products such as Artle, our popular daily puzzle. The writer will also work with our Video, Imaging, AV, Curatorial and Education teams to develop content products that deliver value on-site, in the museum.
This role reports to the Head of Digital Content Delivery and does not have any direct reports.
- Write friendly, clear UI text with language that exhibits our voice and tone
- Design and write content for digital experiences that help users achieve their goals on our website, nga.gov
- Identify opportunities for content additions, improvements, and innovations and effectively pitch those ideas to the team and stakeholders
- Act as an engaged member of the scrum team alongside Product and Experience colleagues, other internal stakeholders and engineering team
Digital content strategy:
- Collaborate with Data Analytics Lead to leverage multiple sources of user research data to inform content design
- Report on KPIs to measure impact and digital growth of the website and online efforts through Google Analytics
- Establish guidelines and patterns to promote consistency and coherence across the website and off-platform content (social media, newsletters)
- Support website redesign by creating UI text that facilitates user navigation, promos, error messages, and other components of the user experience
- Collaborate with other members of the Digital Content Delivery team on day-to-day website content operations
- Support implementation of new audience strategy, website initiatives and digital content strategies in collaboration with the Head of Digital Content Delivery
- Coordinate work among Gallery staff, website developers, and vendors as needed.
- Comply with WCAG 2.1 AA web standards for accessibility of the website and other digital products.
- Demonstrated experience writing, editing, UX and designing content for web and mobile.
- Familiarity with user experience research principles and practices, how to use data to provide informed user insights, and drive results.
- Provide a diverse online portfolio that illustrates your skills, including UX-focused writing samples, brand and copy guidelines, and tone of voice.
- Undergo a writing/editing test that demonstrates your understanding of content strategy.
- Proficient English with outstanding verbal, written, and visual communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, utilizing excellent communication skills to manage time and meet expectations effectively.
This position is eligible for hybrid work (on-site/remote).
Applications must be submitted via usajobs.gov by February 17, 2023 at 11:59 pm ET.
Job series/pay grade: Visual Information Specialist (NF-12)
Salary: $94,199 – $122,459
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
About National Gallery of Art
The National Gallery of Art serves the nation by welcoming all people to explore and experience art, creativity, and our shared humanity. A center of visual art, education, and culture, the National Gallery of Art is one of the world’s preeminent art museums. Masterpieces from renowned artists, temporary exhibitions from around the globe, and a full spectrum of public programs await visitors free of charge.