Interested? Apply online right over here »
Come work with us at the Getty to redesign our website and create a great user experience on our digital platforms! We’re a friendly team defined by values of professionalism, creativity, collaboration, and transparency.
The Getty seeks a highly motivated and collaborative designer for web and interactive media. The role is a part of the User Experience Design and Digital Content Strategy team in the Trust’s Communications Department, which creates and designs digital experiences around the visual arts and cultural heritage in support of the Getty’s institutional vision.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Lead UX Designer.
The Designer is able to synthesize goals, requirements, and user insights in order to deliver creative, functional, and scalable design solutions across mobile, tablet, and desktop. The ideal candidate will be equally adept at typography, layout, interaction design, and user-centered design principles, and will have some knowledge of art history, museums, and/or academic environments.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Take user and stakeholder requirements and KPIs in order to develop successful solutions.
- Design and test interfaces for multiple devices/platforms at all levels of fidelity, including wireframes, static comps, and interactive prototypes.
- Gather and integrate client/user feedback to iterate concepts, wireframes, prototypes and design comps.
- Work with Communications colleagues to ensure the integrity of user experience for the Getty’s digital properties including Getty.edu and mobile experiences.
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously and wear different hats throughout the design and production process: contributing towards concepting and ideation, presenting and iterating visual designs, documenting and communicating design specifications, conducting quality assurance during the development cycle, and communicating best practices for maintenance.
- Collaborate in multidisciplinary teams—articulating design rationale and utilizing consensus-building abilities to arrive at clear next steps.
- Work closely with development teams to communicate design requirements while being open to technical recommendations.
- Assist with planning, executing, and evaluating both qualitative and quantitative user research to inform design strategy and execution.
- Work with external agencies and vendors to facilitate asset handoff and adherence to Getty brand standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Masters in specialty area preferred
- 5-7 years of design experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A robust UI/UX/visual design portfolio demonstrating a sensibility for smart, elegant, and engaging design.
- Mastery of systems-based design—components, page templates and responsive grids.
- A good understanding of current mobile web and native apps as well as strengths and limitations of leading responsive design frameworks (e.g. Bootstrap, Flexbox, Bulma).
- Command of leading design authoring tools (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe XD, Sketch) and prototyping software (e.g., InVision, Axure, Proto.io).
- Familiarity with UX methodologies (e.g. card sorting, journey mapping, user flows, and usability testing).
- Knowledge of accessibility best practice (WCAG 2.1).
- Commitment to UX processes and to iteration and improvement through the gathering and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Ability to excel in a team environment—communicating with, presenting to, and taking input from a variety of colleagues.
- Good judgment in prioritizing design objectives and balancing between brand and user-centered best practice.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and shift gears on the fly.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Education and/or professional experience in art history, museums, higher education or non-profit preferred.