Position Opening: GREATER LOS ANGELES ZOO ASSOCIATION
Web Content Manager
The Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association (GLAZA) is the official fundraising partner of the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens (Zoo). The Zoo is owned and operated by the City of Los Angeles, Department of the Zoo. GLAZA manages and operates seven essential departments of the Zoo, including membership, fundraising, marketing and public relations, publications, special events, volunteers and concessions.
LAZoo.org is a dynamic portal to all things Los Angeles Zoo and serves many different audiences. The web content manager is responsible for all aspects of the Zoo\’s website, online event ticketing, and email marketing program with an emphasis on creating and updating content that increases awareness and brand visibility, drives traffic to the site, communicates the breadth of the Zoo experience including its mission and goals, special events and ticket sales, and the visitor experience—both online and on property.
- Continuously monitor Zoo website content for accuracy and timeliness, updating as needed.
- Maintain the vision and integrity of the design and user-experience of the entire Zoo website, with an emphasis on creating actionable content targeted to key demographics.
- Formulate digital strategy plan/calendar, set goals, and monitors, analyze, and report on site metrics, visitor statistics and usage patterns to determine site effectiveness and recommend improvements.
- Handle requests for new or updated web content from multiple divisions throughout Zoo operations: membership, development, education, PR, admissions/guest relations, retail, volunteer, etc. Manage approval process of copy and layout with stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Marketing Manager on content strategy and defining marketing and development priorities.
- Manage email marketing program including creating content calendars, scheduling, designing, writing, and routing for approval a monthly e-newsletter, membership renewal solicitations, event invitations, and other e-mail blasts.
- Oversee and set up online event ticketing using DoubleKnot and Eventbrite, keeping the user experience in mind.
- Coordinate with Zoo staff to ensure that all e-mail queries received through the web site are answered in a timely manner. Maintain help desk docs related to web/email queries using help desk system TeamWork Desk.
- Coordinate web developer and graphic designer consultants for site redesigns, microsites, and other digital content.
- Involved in the development of new interactive functionality such as mobile version of site or apps.
- Assist in the evaluation and implementation of new and emerging web technologies.
- Responsible for writing original web site copy as well as adapting/editing text from our print publications.
- Select photos and multimedia for use on the site. Coordinate with Zoo staff to produce multimedia and arrange photo shoots when necessary.
- Seek out stories for the Zoo Blog to increase awareness of the Zoo in the community and generate interest in visiting and supporting the Zoo. Manage the blog editorial calendar. Serve as the primary moderator of user-generated content in blogs.
- Coordinate with outside vendors as needed for technical support, including hosting, domain registration, e-commerce, e-mail marketing, and graphic design services.
- Prepare content for the web following best practices for search engine optimization, including proper use of keywords and implementation of relevant meta content such as description, title, and alt tags.
- Maintain online database of animal information for animals in the Zoo’s collection.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor\\\’s Degree, preferably in English, Journalism, Marketing, Advertising, or other communications-related field.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and fact-checking skills.
- Desire to constantly learn about emerging technology and other web-related developments.
- Experience setting up online ticketing programs, ideally DoubleKnot and Eventbrite.
- Familiarity with customer service help desk and project management software.
- Demonstrated ability to work as both a team member and team leader, and to collaborate and communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, vendors, and trustees.
- Able to prepare, analyze and act upon performance data, such as site traffic, using Google analytics.
- Proficiency in email campaign management platforms, e.g. MailChimp.
- Proven track record of increasing web site traffic, customer leads, and engagement through digital marketing/SEO.
- Demonstrated success in developing, testing and deploying multiple marketing campaigns with the ability to execute quick iterations to test designs (A/B testing), user experience, analytics and data for decision making.
- Exceptional project management skills, including the ability to manage schedules and deadlines for multiple projects, working independently to enlisting, assigning and evaluating project success.
- Experience adhering to documented standards for copy, obtaining feedback and approvals from clients, and revising documents according to that feedback. Must be able to produce copy consistent with the established L.A. Zoo voice and tone.
- Demonstrated ability to write and communicate about wildlife and zoo management, mission, and programs, with an eye for visualizing how content will appear in a multimedia environment.
- Demonstrated ability to remain in a stationary position and focus on a computer screen for extended periods during the day.
To apply, submit cover letter, resume and three to five writing samples and online portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
GLAZA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.