We have an opening for a full-time Web Developer who will work with the Design, Publishing, and New Media team to produce and implement design solutions for online and on-site digital projects. They will design, build, and maintain content and systems for visitor-facing platforms onsite (iPads, screens, digital signage, etc.) and online (MCA websites, social media channels, etc); work with back-end developers to integrate front-end and back-end code, ensuring design integrity; collaborate with designers to implement pixel-perfect code; and be responsible for user interface design, mockup, and build-out. They will also design, prototype, and build user-centered websites and applications for mobile devices that are consistent with the museum’s identity; participate in user-centered research through usability testing, interviews, usage analysis, and rapid prototyping; and make daily updates and improvements to the MCA website to maintain accuracy and consistency. To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have the passion to continuously research and learn new methods and technologies to provide a variety of the latest solutions in an arts-oriented environment that puts an emphasis on esthetically-appealing, content-rich presentations.
- Possess excellent written/verbal communication skills, ability to multi-task and work under deadline pressure while maintaining acute attention to detail.
- Be able to effectively work as part of the design team.
Desired qualifications include a Bachelor’s Degree in Web Design/Development, Computer Science or a related field, five years professional experience in web design, with a strong emphasis on code level design and development and:
- Experience with open source content management systems (such as WordPress) and API integration.
- Adept at utilizing web technologies such as Node.JS, Ruby on Rails, and tools such as React and Kirby.
- Strong knowledge of web development best practices, responsive design, UI/UX, and modern web design trends is necessary, and an understanding of WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines a plus.
- Must have a basic understanding of digital media file types, compression, and implementation on digital platforms.
- Knowledge of server-side languages such as Django and database management systems desirable.
This is a full-time position with a schedule of Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm, and with evening and weekend hours if needed. Ability to operate office equipment, spend long periods of time working on a computer screen, and general mobility throughout all museum properties is required.
Interested? APPLY NOW https://mcachicago.org/About/Employment